Cleaning your Land Rover's A/C Drain Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaning Your Land Rover's AC drain lines
Thanks Andy Maier (Moose)

Many people have problems with mist coming out of the vents, and heavy condensation or leaking on the passenger side of their trucks after using the air conditioner. The likely cause of these symptoms is a clogged A/C drain line.

The drain line runs water from the A/C system to the bottom of the truck, which allows condensation from operation of the A/C to drain out of the bottom of the vehicle while it's in motion (it causes the puddle of water people see under cars in the summertime). The drain ****** at the end of the line on Discoveries can easily become clogged, leaving the extra water nowhere else to go. Here's how to clean the ******:

TOOLS NEEDED: None.

TIME NEEDED: 5 minutes at worst.

DIFFICULTY: Can you turn an ignition key? If so, you can do this one.

PROCEDURE:
(1) Get under truck from passenger side;
(2) Look near front (engine) end of transmission -- there is a rubber pyramid-shaped piece without anything else near it (see picture one). This is the drain ******.
(3) To clear a clogged ******, use your finger or a small tool to wiggle the ****** until the mud, dirt, debris, etc. is freed, allowing water to flow out. This water is dirty and may be warm.
(4) Allow water to drain out, attempting to dodge as much as possible.
(5) Check periodically to ensure water flows from the drain line, cleaning as necessary.
(6) Wipe arms off with towel.

HERE ARE PICS:

Attachments

• PDR_0121.JPG
    PDR_0121.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,065
  • PDR_0122.JPG
    PDR_0122.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,799
T

treeboy

Do these instructions apply to a 99 RR HSE? I've looked for the drain ******, but can't seem to locate it. Mind you, I'm nearly inept when it comes to cars and engines, but I just bought this truck and I want to learn how to maintain it myself.

J

Joostvanbeem

Thanks!!!

I was realy wondering why my car was so wett inside. To clear the drain is indeed not much work and can easily be done. However, to get the carpet dry after all the AC water has been leaking into the car is much more work. You have to take out the front chairs and the carpet to get it dry, unfortunately this takes much more work. But I also managed to do this.
One extra tip for the non-UK drivers: In left steered vehicles the drain is under the drivers site and not the passengers site.

leawood66

Reaction score
are those picture apply to a 2000 discovery?
I could not located the ****** under my discovery.
help, thanks

john65b

Reaction score
On 2002 Disco II Left drive US truck, there are two, one under the driver and one under the passenger.
The one under the driver was a bit more difficult to find, but same place above the exhaust...

Too bad I didn't notice this years ago. I have been dealing with that musty smell for far too long.

Also, I completely removed the *******. I don't see a good reason to replace them. They will just clog again in a few years...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
if you remove the ******* and do not replace them you could end up with small critters or bugs finding a new home making matter worse later on.

oahudisco

Reaction score
Just a little came out

My girlfriend has a 2003 Disco. We've been trying to rationalize the wet floorboards for a couple of months ('Didn't it rain last month?"), but it finally got to the point where the floors were just saturated.

Thanks for this thread and the photos.

I found the ******* and wiggled them -- even stuck a Bic pen far up inside the hose -- but I was only able to get about half a cup of liquid to come out, and only on the passenger side. The driver's side was just a few drops on my fingers. Is that "normal" for a blocked condensate drain? With the amount of water soaking through the carpets and mats, I was expecting a fetid Niagara.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on if you were getting the floor boards wet on both side... if just the passenger side, then that is about right... if both, then you may have other issues.

frarellano

Reaction score
Hi Slam: I found the drain holes on my 2004 Discovery thanks to your pictures and guideline. I did put a screw driver inside and nothing came out on both sides. What is really weird, There is no water leak inside the passenger area and the Truck A/C does not drain any water and we are having record high tempetures here in Los Angeles. Any idea why my A/C does not drain even in such a hot weahter???
The A/C blows a bad smell but it goes away after it have been running for awhile

peasterb

Reaction score
Thanks heaps for the pictures and advice, I had water in both passenger and driver side floors and looked everywhere for the drain, would never have thought this was it, I found the drain only touched it with a screwdriver and had buckets of water come out, thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick