Transfer case seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year I went off-roading and drove through a fairly deep mud pit. When I exited the pit, there was a strong odor that I thought was transmission fluid. Later at home I looked under the vehicle and discovered that the transfer case front output seal was weeping. I had driven slowly through the mud pit, and I think the muddy water suddenly cooled down the transfer case and fluid. The resulting temperature/pressure change caused water to be sucked into the transfer case. I could have left things alone and just topped up the fluid occasionally, but I didn't want to leave a stain on anybody's driveway, so I went ahead and changed the seal. Since I had to open up the transfer case, I also put in a new input seal and rear output seal.

This is not an overly technical job, but some aspects require a tremendous amount of patience and careful observation. I will be honest, it took me nearly an entire week to get this done, and I often found myself regretting not just taking it to a shop. It would have been painful on the wallet, but I think it would have saved a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and stress.

There is a good writeup on the disco3 site that explains the whole process. Here is the link. The transfer case in the LR3 is a Magna Steyr DD295, the same one found in the Range Rover Sport. Somebody did a teardown with great pictures here. The only difference I noticed with mine is that the magnet for capturing shavings looks more like a trapezoid and not a plus sign. You should be able to get the seals at your local dealer, but if you are in need of any other spare parts, Cobra Transmission seems to be the only game in the states, and they are not cheap. It appears that some of the parts might be interchangeable with the transfer case on the BMW X5 and X3. The transfer cases are Magna Steyr as well, but they are not completely identical.

I apologize for not taking any pictures. I am not the type to pause, take off the gloves, and then take pictures. If I were to add my own notes to the disco3 writeup:

- It's easier to remove the transmission support cross member first before undoing the front drive shaft.

- Get a set of star sockets (torx sockets) to remove the bolts on the front and rear driveshafts. I believe the front takes 12mm and the rear 14mm. If you have trouble reaching some of the bolts (let's use the front driveshaft as an example), jack up one of the front wheels and put the vehicle in neutral. Rotating that wheel will cause the front driveshaft to turn, and you can now reach all the bolts. Of course you'll need the vehicle chocked for safety.

- There is a plate on the passenger side of the transfer case held on by three 10mm bolts. Attached are fuel lines and O2 sensor lines. You'll need to disassemble this in order to get the transfer case out.

- Get a 13mm stubby ratcheting wrench. Access to six of the eight above mentioned transfer case/ transmission bolts is really bad. The factory manual says to use a torque adapter or crow's foot, but I can't see how that is possible without losing your sanity. The bolts are torqued on pretty tight and I used a slightly longer wrench to break them loose. There is very little room to turn anything, so you'll want to use a stubby ratchet as much as possible.

- Once the transfer case was open, I had a hard time removing the output shafts. Both the front and rear have a large circlip that needs to be compressed, but I don't think there is tool for this. I ended up inserting four paperclips to hold the circlip in place and then gave the shaft a good whack with a hammer.

- None of the three seals get pressed in all the way (input, front output, and rear output). I learned this one the hard way. Pressing the seals in all the way will cause the bearing to rub against them. Also, when the input seal is out, look at the opening and you will see that there are channels for oil to lubricate the shaft bearing. Pressing the seal beyond these channels will allow oil to leak out. I believe the Land Rover tools will limit how far you can press the seals in, but they are very expensive for a one time job like this.

- When closing up the transfer case, keep an eye on the magnet and oil pump pipe as these can easily fall out of place.

- I refilled with Royal Purple Synchromax as this is the only non Land Rover oil I could find that specifically says it meets the Shell TF0753 spec.

- Buying the seals though the dealer is not expensive. They are about $12 to $15 each, but I think you can get them cheaper if you know the exact measurements and get Timken branded or such.

Best of luck if you are doing this.

Last edited:

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great information - Thank you for sharing!

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
input seal only... removing the transmission support crossmember

thanks for the write-up. my xfer case input seal is leaking so i am going to attempt to replace it.

the write-up says to remove the transmission support crossmember. the confusion so far for me is how to access the two nuts (one is accessible, the other cannot be seen) that are blocked by the fuel tank (passenger side of the support). i easily get to the bolts on the other side of the support bar.

i don't see anyone dropping the tank to access these nuts--what did you do?

thanks!

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not need to drop the fuel tank. For the nuts on the side that cannot be seen, I wedged in a socket wrench that had a flat handle. The socket wrench kept the nuts from turning, and I then used a breaker bar to turn the bolts.

A word of warning, this is a time consuming job!

Also, I realize I made a mistake in something I wrote. Like the input seal, the front and rear output seals do not get pressed in all the way. I had to redo my rear output seal because it started leaking (it wasn't leaking when I started the job) and I realized I had pushed it in too far. Pushing the seal in all the way will cause the bearing to rub against it. I have edited my write up to reflect this.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
thank you ever so much for the prompt reply! i had a few hours tonight and i followed your advice and was able to drop the transmission support bar. in fact, i am now about to attack the infamous 8 bolts that secure the transfer case to the transmission. visually i have only been able to see four of the eight. the front driveshaft blocks the view and i can't imagine how to get around it with a wrench (undoubtedly why you recommended a stubby 13mm wratchet wrench). did you reposition the front driveshaft first? i can't seem to get enough play to disengage the front driveline. any suggestions?

also, i haven't had any luck locating the breather tube. do you remember where it's located?

thanks again!

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already done so, I recommend disconnecting the front and rear driveshafts. Once the torx sockets are removed, you'll have to compress the driveshaft (it has a sort of CV joint) and push up on it. It will slide up and out of the way, but it takes some work. I sometimes wedged a screwdriver in between the driveshaft and flange to help pop it out.

As for the breather, look at the 1st, 3rd, and 4th picture on the rangerovers.net website. The breather hole is the small black nub on the top of the transfer case. There is some wiring near the breather tube that needs to be removed. You've probably already undone the three connectors and three bolts, but it is also attached by a plastic connector at the top. I used a flathead screwdriver to help pop out the connector. This makes it easier to reach the breather tube.

I found that the best position to be in for removing the eight transfer case bolts was to lie directly underneath the transfer case with my feet towards the front of the car and have my hands be right underneath where the bolts are. Being in this position allowed me to actually use both hands to wrap around (or hug) the transfer case and feel along the top to reach the uppermost bolts. You will have to operate by feel as it is difficult to see those bolts.

Best of luck!

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
i've removed the torx bolts from both driveshafts. the rear shaft was easy to reposition. the front is a lot harder, what with the actual gearing in there making it trickier to separate. i will try your approach to lever it out carefully. undoubtedly that will make all the difference in accessing the upper bolts.

currently i have a jack supporting the transfer case. your suggestion to "hug" the case to feel for the location of the upper bolts suggests that you didn't have a jack under the case. how did you support it as you removed the bolts?

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did initially try putting a jack under the transfer case or transmission, but found that it was ridiculously in the way, particularly when you are trying to slide the transfer case off the transmission. Without support, the transfer case does sag slightly, but it was a risk I took. Once the transfer case was off, I of course made sure to support the transmission.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
okay, forgive the "play-by-play" but i greatly appreciate your assistance. i removed the jack under the transfer case and started "hugging away." i was able to "feel" all the bolts on the passenger side and even the high bolt on the driver side. this gave me hope--and i was able to feel the breather tube as well. (did you disconnect the breather before or after disconnecting and lowering the case?)

oddly enough, the big hangup right now is the front output shaft. i simply am having a death of a time separating it from the flange. (i want to confirm that i'm even working on the right connection here: it's the one with all the grease, right?) if i could get it disconnected and repositioned i think i'd be able to finish the job.

gonna go slide under again here in a few after i regain my composure :argh:

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
Well, still no luck separating the drive shaft from the flange. This surprises me since no one else seems to have had any problems with this step.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV