Feedback needed: Things to look for in Used 2008 RR Supercharged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eviltwin52s

Reaction score
I have been lurking here for a couple weeks now, and reading multiple pages trying to not be That GUY... :proud: I have been on the fence trying to decide on a Porsche Cayenne Turbo or the full sized RR Supercharged truck. Looking to spend in the neighborhood of $45K for one with 40-50k miles on it.

I have finally gotten the chance to test drive both, and I must say that the Supercharged RR has the pep in its step and has that smooth luxury ride I am more prone to like. I have been on this forum looking at what things to look out for on a good used Supercharged Rover. I see that there were issues in 2006 and these seem to be worked out for the 2008 model year and newer not seeing much of anything reported as a concern. Some say change out the Pulleys, but I see you have to also have your ECU reprogrammed.

Everyone suggest purchasing from a Land Rover Dealer, versus a regular dealer, I figure this is due to potentially getting a Certified Used car. Around my area, there are not many Supercharged trucks, so I am thinking I will more than likely fly out and inspect and either drive it back or have it shipped back home.

Is there anything that I should immediately put on my list to check out?

I figured putting it through its Air suspension settings and testing the Nav/DVD/Audio and back up camera should be pretty high on that list.

I appreciate others that have been through this process already, if you would kindly provide your insights it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bart

rlewis15@hotmail

Reaction score
I just bought a 2008 full size hse ( not super charged) I purchased it from an pre owned car lot out of province. I had it shipped to alberta and have been dealing with landrover in the city. If I buy again, I will be going through LR only because they know there vehicles, where as other dealers have no idea! With tat being said, I am trying to find other places to take my RR for service or o it myself! So far, I have spent $500 getting tem to diagnose a smell coming from te vents and they keep selling me more filters and products tat haven't fix the problem! They seemed to think no one else is capable of even opening the hood:(. Money grabber? So anitually buy from LR but after sty away for service;). Good luck

WaisalimaMan

Reaction score
I bought my '08 RR S/C with 111,000 miles on it. It had 2 fault codes. One cot $360 to find and fix. The other is no problem - TPMS fault code caused by not having sensors in all 5 wheels. That can be fixed by adding the missing senors and having them programmed into the system when the tires are changed.

Test drive it enough to get everything up to operating temperature; make sure it is quiet and it tracks straight hands off even when braking; ensure the transmission shifts through all gears smoothly, try all options - sport mode and various traction control settings. Try all ride height settings and make sure it will settle down to access height with the door button and with the button on the console. Check mirrors, door locks, tail gate lock, seat/steering wheel adjustments and settings, rear seat folding, seat belt latches, wipers, sunroof, radio and CD player, GPS, etc.

Make sure that everything works.

Now look for leaks under the car and at the rear of the engine. Check fluids - are the full and clean? High mileage? Get a tech who knows Range Rovers to go over it. Have him run a diagnostic on it to check for fault codes and fault code history. Paying for this check is far less than the hidden problems you may encounter later.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you finally locate the vehicle you may want to see if there is a good Indy around or dealer that you can pay to do a PPI on the vehicle so that you can get it on a lift and see what's going on underneath, pull any codes (make sure they have the right reader), and give it a good check over as well.

Check panel fit and edges for obvious signs of repair work, same for suspension parts. If you're like me, get a ultrasonic paint meter and check to see if the paint is thicker on panels showing signs of paintwork due to accident.

Carfax and services like that are good to get details as well but somehow many hints don't get reported. Lots of owners cane indication of problems, assisted buyback, or lemon issues.

Don't get caught up in the excitement of finding something you love, treat this as a business decision and be very thorough.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA