HELP Locked steering wheel and can't turn ignition on 2006 Range Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjwarhawk

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2006 Range Rover HSE and drove it back to Wisconsin from Florida. I've had no problems until this morning. I went out to the car, got in and the key won't turn. I wiggled the steering wheel a bit thinking it would help and the steering wheel locked.

I saw a couple postings and tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and nothing.

It works to lock/unlock in the door but the remote won't do anything. I changed the battery just in case but it didn't help. The lights flash on the remote but the car doesn't respond.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

J

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi J and while you may have charged the battery, have you measured the voltage at the battery after the charger was removed?

My wife had a sort of similar situation but in her case, she was driving the RR when the alternator failed, flattening the battery and locking the steering wheel while she was actually driving down a country road.

Again, just a suggestion, try measuring the voltage at the battery.

meynell

Reaction score
Hi i have a 1999 rangie hse4.6 same problem key goes in ok cant turn it wobble the steering wheel for five Minutes and I'm in so i went and brought a can of electrical terminal cleaner pushed the nozzle in as far as i could get it and sprayed then blew it out with compressed air i did this two or three times then gave the ignition hole a good two puffs of graphite powder now she works like a dream.i guess over time dust from pockets and wear from the key builds up whatever you do dont spray crc or wd40 into key holes forms a paste with the dust in there

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut