Brake Bleeding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who owns his own shop. He's been in business for 20 years. I have taken cars to him for a long time and trust him explicitly to do work on my cars. But I will not have him work on my Land Rovers. Aside from the fact that I enjoy working on my trucks, he doesn't know jack about them.

Mike's 30 years of experience is invaluable and I don't want to disparage. However, his experience with the LR3 is very limited. It is significantly different from a D1 or a D2. I know. I've worked on both. I won't say for a minute that I know as much as Mike does, but I know enough to say that the D2 and LR3 are very different.

That being said - this isn't BS. Can you tell me what the ISO 4925 spec says and why its acceptable to ignore it?

ISO = International Organization for Standardization. ISO 4925 is simply a revised standard level (OE) for non-petroleum based braking fluids. See here:

ISO 4925:2005 specifies non-petroleum-base fluids used in road-vehicle hydraulic brake and clutch systems that are designed for use with such fluids and equipped with seals, cups or double-lipped type gland seals made of styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR) and ethylene-propylene elastomer (EPDM).

Site reference for ISO standardization: http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=38513

This translates into making sure the seals in the system are compatible with the fluid. BTW - Audi's, BMW's, Merc's and Jags use similar braking system components. If you are following the requirements for import based (European) systems, you will likely be just fine. The fact that the Valvoline fluid exceeds this spec is exceptional, IMO. I bet if you search on valvoline's site, you will find the info you need.

The really sad part, 3/4's of the legit aftermarket suppliers for these types of materials exceed the OE spec. Why? Money. Simple as that. The manufacturers want to make as much of a margin on each unit. As a result, they spec the bare bones for consumables. Every major auto manufacturer does this. The ONLY reason manufacturers specify fluids is - A. The partnership they have with the fluid manufacturer (see money) & B. To cover their ass in case some yo-yo blames them for putting in the wrong juice.

My personal experience base - I have built my own Porsche race car from the ground up. I have serviced my own cars (off warranty ones) for going on 20 years. Those cars include - Audi's, BMW's, Fords, Land Rover's, Nissans, Porsches, and VW's. The work included just about everything with the exception being the A/C systems (I hate monkeying with those god forsaken things.) I can tell you for fact, Mike is on the money.

Reminder - DON'T MIX FLUIDS.

Last edited:

ChuckD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disco Mike was a great help with brake issues I had with my DII. He even went as far as helping over the phone. An asset, I say.

ChuckD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA