87 octane Fuel Vs 89 or 93 Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basque 1

Reaction score
Gentlemen:
Good morning to all, I would like to know if anyone has experienced in the past knocking or pinging of the engine if using 87 octane fuel Vs 89 or 93 octane.

What I have done is used 87 octane, however, I would add octane booster for that tank fill up.

Recently I calculated that it works out the same $$wise if I use 89 octane, no knocking or pinging. I did hear a slight knocking when used 87 without the octane booster.
Any thoughts?
Tks
Lou, II (Basque1)
04 Range Rover HSE

WereWolf1967

Reaction score
Gentlemen:
Good morning to all, I would like to know if anyone has experienced in the past knocking or pinging of the engine if using 87 octane fuel Vs 89 or 93 octane.

What I have done is used 87 octane, however, I would add octane booster for that tank fill up.

Recently I calculated that it works out the same $$wise if I use 89 octane, no knocking or pinging. I did hear a slight knocking when used 87 without the octane booster.
Any thoughts?
Tks
Lou, II (Basque1)
04 Range Rover HSE

I have a 2000 P38 w/4.0 SE low emissions engine that blew a head gasket last winter in northeast Maryland. I had to leave "Godzilla" at a specialty shop over the winter. The owner of the shop, a great Range Rover mechanic, pulled the heads, found 1 hear was .003 our of plane & 1 head was .006 out of plane. Had both heads milles .0065, completely rebuilt them, did a multi-angle valve job, installed new pushrods but not lifters since they were run-in with the original cam & in good shape. They put a solid copper head gasket on the block that was .004" thicker and sealed it all up with copper permatex. torqued everything twice, ran the engine at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes on no-load with a large shop fan to provide airflow, let it cool down, retorqued the head bolts to factory settings and drove it for 3 days before calling me to set up a pick-up date. I now still have to absolutely use only 93 octane fuel or it'll spark knock under a heavy load. Since I live in Knoxville, TN and we have numerous mountains here, a heavy load is normal driving.
One good thing now though, I can do 120mph on a level road with ease. Not bad for 188 hp AND 235,000 miles!!!

Basque 1

Reaction score
I have been using lately for every fill up 87 octane without a hitch, no knocking or pinging at all nor I have ever used octane booster either. I guess its good,
Lou

WereWolf1967

Reaction score
87 octane vs 93

I have been using lately for every fill up 87 octane without a hitch, no knocking or pinging at all nor I have ever used octane booster either. I guess its good,
Lou

What year Rover do you have and what model/engine?

ttemoney

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Range Rover HSE, I use 89 Octane (Mid grade with 10 % eth) I haven't had any problem since I've owned a rover in 1999.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA