1998 Discovery - Excessive fuel consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ushemj

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Mark and I'm from Queensland Australia. I've got a 98 Discovery 3.9 V8 auto. Fantastic car but horrendous fuel economy of 28L per 100km or 8 mpg. It's only done 137,000 km, doesn't blow any smoke black or blue. Seems to run well. Surely this can't be normal. Any suggestions?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First welcome to the forum.

Is it a stock rover with stock sized tires? Factory bumpers and does it have a roof rack?

Last tune up? How much air do you have in the tires?

ushemj

Reaction score
Hi Joey, thanks for replying. Yes it does have stock tyres and bumpers. Tyres are BF Goodrich AT with 38 tyre pressure. Doesn't have roof racks though. I guess the only other thing is a dyno tune. Why did you ask about the bumpers?

Railey

Reaction score
G'day Try cleaning MAF.. When was last time it had a service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I asked about the bumpers, because any added weight from the factory plastic will affect fuel economy. Don't get me wrong Rovers are not known for amazing economy, but I would expect a proper running 98 to get around 15-17 MPG depending on how you drive. Remember it is slightly under powered and it is still a heavy vehicle. So if you drive hard from stop light to stop light you mileage will suffer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA