Parts Interchangeability Range Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WereWolf1967

Reaction score
I have a question that no dealer has been able to answer.

Here Goes: Given that the engines in Range Rovers with the exception of the BMW engines, are based on the old GM 215 cid all aluminum V-8 of the 60's, did BL/Land Rover keep the GM bolt patterns for the block to bell housing?

I just had a starter replaced on my 2000 Range Rover P38 and it appears to be a GM starter. It only cost $190.00 as well. If that is the case, and it is a Buick/GM pattern, I was thinking of installing a 400 cid small block Chevy engine from an Impala for more power and torque at relaxed rpms.

The 400 small block had gobs of torque and with some mild mods could put out 300 HP more or less as well as being super reliable.

Any thoughts or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm an old timer hot rodder with numerous go-faster projects under my belt.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard of several people dropping in 350ci chevy engines, but don't recall what issues they had in doing so... personally I would go with an LS1 or newer so you could at least stick with the lighter weight engine. Main reason for the buick 215ci engine was its light weight compared to other options at the time.

WereWolf1967

Reaction score
Interchability of parts

Thanks Joey. The reason that I was going for the small block 400 was its displacement and narrow size. If the engine bay wasn't so narrow, I'd opt for a 427/390 hp Chevy. It was the "low horsepower" base engine in 67 Impala SS's.
With this engine I'd have plenty of torque but as long as you stay off the throttle, the stock drive train might live awhile. The Big Block Chevys had gobs of axle snapping torque.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut