Mechanic encouraging me not to buy RR Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruin

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been looking for a certified RR sport but my mechanic keeps telling me not to.

I have a very good relationship with my mechanic and he is not giving me good feelings toward my future purchase. He is very honest. Yes, a honest mechanic does exist.

He tells me that I can purchase the RR sport but he will be make a lot of money off me. Two brakes alone, he said, are around $700 and expect to them often. In general the parts and labor on the RR Sport are very expensive he said and they often need work.

What are your thoughts

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... Well as far as brakes go, brakes pads are around $100 per axle and take maybe an hour per axle to change with a lift and air tools.

So unless he is charging you $300 an hour to change brakes not sure what the issue is.

Also not sure if your looking new or used, but I priced brakes for a used RR sport Supercharged which cost more than a standard RR sport.

Personally I don't like the ride of the sport and for my money I would rather have either the full sized range rover or the LR4.

Bruin

Reaction score
I will only buy a certified RR anyway.

My mechanic said in general, Land rovers break down a lot and they are expensive to work on.

jamesstock

Reaction score
When it works, it's great...but when something goes wrong, ALOT will go wrong. Not to mention parts are $$$$ in the rovers. But if you can treat it like a family member who has frequent health issues, then u'll feel better since you expect it. Just have your credit card ready!

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot will go right!

Seems to me your mechanic is quoting stats from 10 years ago.

My 2011 LR4 has been great. Search the forum and you will find many satisfied owners. Sure there are some with problems, but that is true of ANY vehicle.

Meanwhile, with Land Rover you get a level of quality and function that many of us find better than anything else.

ldalcorn

Reaction score
I am on my fourth Rover (two Disco's, one Defender, and a RR Sport), and I love these vehicles. Parts are definitely expensive, but I find the durability of the trucks better than most US vehicles (and I've owned a bunch of them over the years).

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My mechanic said in general, Land rovers break down a lot and they are expensive to work on.

Sounds like he is not an actual certified Land Rover tech as well as a total BS type of talker. "Break down a lot" Complete bull sh i T. I've driven over 400,000 miles in 5 Land Rovers and NEVER had one "break down", never.

Repairs, sure, but never stuck, stranded, or requiring a tow truck.

Last set of rotors on the lr3 lasted me about 50,000 miles. Mine is at least 2000 lbs heavier than a stock RRSport.

georgekale

Reaction score

If your worried about the price of parts, Then don't buy Land Rovers. Going on cheap for parts you will pay dearly later, and yes if your mechanic don't have SDD software from Land Rover, he won't be able to pull body or chassis codes and yes their a ***** to fix.

"If you play the part you must pay part". Yes! Land Rover vehicles are not cheap to keep. British heritage with Ford mixed in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA