New to Me LR4 -Towing wiring - where to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shanerrs

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a 2011 LR4 - HSE LUX and need to obtain the towing wiring harness.

In Canada it is 250. plus tax at the dealer.

Any other options?

Atlantic British have one non OEM for 99 USD (47 to ship) - anybody have issues - Also does it void CPO Warranty, as with exchange it's not worth the risk of 50-70 dollars savings.

Also need to get the Hitch, but will look used for that. I found one for $400 CND

shrinkboy

Reaction score
I have the AB hitch wiring connected up to the truck - no violation of warranty. I haven't actually towed with it yet, so I can't speak to functionality, but it didn't trip anything, and didn't release the magic smoke.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$47 to ship? whoa. I have the AB one, it's just fine.

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the AB wiring harness clone. Looks like it is going to be just fine and plug and play once routing the wiring. I started asking lr3 and 4 owners in my town if they had the factory hitch and if they would sell it. Found someone in my neighborhood with one they never used and didn't have any plan to tow with it. Sold it to me for $300. Towing motorcycles to southern UT soon. Will report back on the wiring harness once installed.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the AB wiring harness clone. Looks like it is going to be just fine and plug and play once routing the wiring. I started asking lr3 and 4 owners in my town if they had the factory hitch and if they would sell it. Found someone in my neighborhood with one they never used and didn't have any plan to tow with it. Sold it to me for $300. Towing motorcycles to southern UT soon. Will report back on the wiring harness once installed.

Are you installing the wiring kit yourself? I understand that some programming is required after installation. Does this enable simple functions like brake lights or more advanced functions like anti-sway, rear camera features, etc.?

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you installing the wiring kit yourself? I understand that some programming is required after installation. Does this enable simple functions like brake lights or more advanced functions like anti-sway, rear camera features, etc.?

I'm not sure about the functions beyond brake, tail and turn signals but there does not seem to be any programming needed. They even have this video of the install and don't mention any programing I'm only pulling a relatively light and small open trailer with a couple of adv bikes so don;t need much else. I imagine the rear camera will continue to work as it does but just won't be much help http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/lr4-trailer-wiring-kit/

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge the programming is needed to active that advanced features, which I think you only get with the "vision" package in a 2011 anyway. When I installed the wiring harness myself all the normal features worked fine, but I had to take it to the dealer to get the other features activated (which the service advisor and technician had never heard of and I am apparently the only person in this 3M person metropolitan area that had ever asked for it). After consulting with LRNA a bit they were able to make it work...it was awhile ago but I think it took me two visits to get it right.

shanerrs

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a difference between the LR3 wiring kit and the LR4 wiring kit? I can get a unused Lr3 kit for $50. just wondering if this will work on the LR4 vs spending 300??

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a difference between the LR3 wiring kit and the LR4 wiring kit? I can get a unused Lr3 kit for $50. just wondering if this will work on the LR4 vs spending 300??

I don't know the answer to that for sure but Atlantic British does list two different part numbers for the Lr3 and LR4 trailer wiring kit, so it leads me to believe they are different. Their clone kit for the LR4 is only $99 and sounds like it works fine so I would not consider buying the genuine LR kit for $300 in any case. Mine is on the way and once I get it installed I can report back. Steve

shanerrs

Reaction score
I found a used on Atlantic British one on Ebay! It was never the cost of the new one... but with the exchange rate and 47.US for shipping it was going to be over $200 Canadian.

Got a used one shipped for $100 Cnd.

Thanks for all the replies!

If anybody is looking for a LR3 OEM kit.... there is brand new one on KJIJIJ in Toronto Canada. he was going to accept $50. CND

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut