Tires for 2005 LR3 255/55R19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaxy

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
:hello:

It's been a while I am looking for an All terrain tire for my 2005 LR3, which is used mostly for city drive, but being in East coast we do get hit with bad weather (SNOW/SLEET).

After reading various forums and feedback from users I narrowed down my search to the following three (in order of preference):
- NOKIAN WRG3 SUV
- PIRELLI SCORPIAN ATR
- COOPER ZEON LTZ

After calling alot of tire shops, I am not able to find any of these. Later I dropped the coopers out as read a forum where users reported alot of tread wear after 20k miles.

My current tires are Michelin 4X4 Synchrone which lasted me good 50K+ miles and they still have good amount of tread on them, just the walls start to show signs of graining.

Now after further research the only option I see (which is available) is the
Bridgestone Dueler H/L ALENZA PLUS
but for this tire I could not find any reviews from Landrover or Rangerover users.

:help:
All the forum members please help shed some light on these tires (or others) and help me decide the tires before the winter season kicks in. My tire needs:
- City/road driving only (Not very high speed - max 70-75 mph)
- Traction for heavy snow and sleet

Thank you in advance to everyone contributing.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like an All Terrain tire would be a good choice for you, no? For city / highway only with occasional heavy snow during winters, you should probably look for a good set of All Seasons / All Weather, maybe even a dedicated winter tire if snow is frequent and heavy where you live. All Terrains usually don't fare so well in snow, ice, sleet and mud. I am afraid I don't know much about the Bridgestones, but I would definitely steer you away from those Pirellis and Coopers, even if they were available. The Nokians, on the other hand, sound like a much better fit for your needs, if you can find them of course.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As noted by umbertob, it does not sound like an all-terrain tire is for you. Unless you are going offroad, you probably won't like the extra noise. We have the Cooper Zeon LTZ tires on both our vehicles in the summer for beach driving. I agree that you would get only 30K miles out of a set. And they are not that great in snow, which is why I run Nokian winter tires in winter.

The Pirelli Scorpion ATRs are discontinued. That is why you can't find them.

The Nokian WRG3 would be perfect for you based on the information you provided. You can buy them online at Tires by Web (https://www.tiresbyweb.com/m-108-no...m_campaign=Nokian Tires&utm_term=tires by web ) and have a local installer put them on, such as NTB.

Or go to Nokian's website and search for a dealer in your area. Here in the Boston area there are many Nokian retailers, including Direct Tire and Kenwood Tire.

jaxy

Reaction score
Thank you guys.

After hearing back from you I called Nokian tyres directly to check where I can get the tires, and the rep told there were some delay in supply. Also I got the list of online authorized dealers which are only two:
www.tire-easy.com
www.tiresbyweb.com (as suggested by Paul)

Also I asked her to check stock for my choice and she confirmed they have them instock.

Next I called STS Tire (which happen to be the only chain carrying Nokian in my area) and to my surprise the confirmed they can get the tires by next week. And the price is also the best of all place for this tire and others. $184 a piece. So for all 4 with fitting, NY tax and Sales Tax it will be $892 out of the door.

So I will stop by and order them today.

Thanks again for all the help and I will update the post with the latest.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice. I run Nokian Hakkas in the winter and they are great. I took them out on several snow runs locally (performed great, even in 20" of snow) and I ran them to and from the Yukon Territory last March.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend the Pirelli's or whatever replacement they now make. Where I have done great with a couple sets of Michelin, the set of Pirellis I had were problematic (sidewall breakdown before the tread was worn down).

Neither the Pirelli or the Michelin are great offroad tires, though. So it depends what you are looking for. I would have got some Nokians to try if I could find them around me. Barring that, I'd go Michelin as you'll get a full life out of them.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the hell out of Michelin Synchrones before the Nokians. Incredible life....but not a good performer in the grip department. Just concrete-eaters. As far as getting the NOKs, just order them on-line and have them mounted/balanced at a local shop. Not rocket surgery.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV