Need some buying advice regarding 2012 Range Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering replacing my LR3 because every year I put at least $4K of repairs into it. I've had the current LR4 as a loaner car and I'm not a fan of the SCV6, rotary shift wheel, eco-stop, running boards, no low gear, etc. And I'm afraid to buy a first year LR5 when it comes out.

So I'm looking at two 2012 Range Rovers, one is an HSE with 21K miles, the other is a SC with 42K miles. Same price, both have good dealer maintenance records and are CPO.

I have not driven them yet. The 5.0 V8 moves our LR4 just fine. Is it adequate in the Range Rover or is the SC just too much fun to pass-up? And what is the real world mpg difference? Will the SC be more prone to problems?

As for going offroad, was the locking rear differential an option on 2012 Range Rovers? I'm not sure if either of these has it or not.

What about a roof rack - looks like neither has any factory roof rails. Can you add these or do you just buy a full kit from Thule or Yakima?

Any other suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2007 SC and don't think they changed any of these physical aspects until full redesign in 2013.

Roof: there are factory tracks available but there are also racks that don't require anything other than the mount points already built into the roof. You would need to stand on a tire, lean in to see the edge but there were little "flaps" that revealed 6 (I think 6 not 8) mount points. These are female bolt holes.

Locking rear differential: it was standard on all SC models. I'm pretty sure it also came with a full size spare but that part I'm actually not sure about. You'd have to look into the cargo floor where the spare resides.

Yes, it was an "option" for the HSE models.

I really liked the SC engine even back when it was the smaller version so I cannot imagine you wouldn't appreciate the 5L version. It's my understanding that a supercharger is actually much more reliable than turbos.

If the color and how it's been taken care of are fine to you, I'd definitely choose the SC 2012.

There are usually some other "standard options" or choices on SC models that are either not even possible on HSE or just rarely ordered so you should look into that. Being a Land Rover dealer, they should very easily be able to print you an actual "build sheet" from each vehicle based on the VIN. All options, etc. as it came when new.

Personally I hate the DVD type head rests. They are not as comfortable as the non-DVD versions and they don't tilt.

Oh, you get bigger brakes on the SC and it's possible that some of the suspension parts are different even if it's just bushings and such.

On MPG, adding forced induction to an engine does not inherently make is less fuel efficient. In fact it's usually the opposite. Drive the higher output engine just as delicately as the naturally aspirated and it could even provide higher mpg but it depends on what engine sizes are compared and many other factors.

For going off road, you will need to ask others more specifically what year the SC brakes became too big for factory 18" wheels, if that's your plan. If you are fine with the 20" that come on it or getting some 19" for off road (practically zero appropriate tires available though), then the bigger brakes are great for ....braking ;)

Having an LR4, I'm sure you already know about the aftermarket European 18" wheels to fit over larger brakes.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest, thank you so much for the info.

From what I have read, in 2012 the locking rear diff was standard on the HSE but an option on the SC. I guess they figured many SC buyers would never take such an expensive vehicle offroad. Great idea regarding having the dealer pull the build sheets by VIN.

Our offroad driving is primarily in sand on a nearby drive-on beach or a mud road to a ski condo in spring. I think there are limited tire choices for 20" wheels but we have been happy with the Cooper Zeon LTZ tires on our 19" wheels. I'll see if 19"wheels fit over the larger SC brakes.

Also, thanks for the info on the supercharger. Having owned a few Audi turbos, I think a supercharger is less problematic as well.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that even now the SC models are still the ones with locking rear diff as standard, I don't believe what you said about 2012.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very possible - you can't believe everything you read on these forums. :smile:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you read on a forum, that 2012 HSE came standard w HD package (locking rear diff), then I'd say that's incorrect. Call a dealer service manager and/or download dig up an older brochure. I have pretty much all Range Rover vehicle printed brochures since 2007 so I can check sometime too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA