04 range rover hse transfailsafe experience help to others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PICCOLO777

Reaction score
Re update

Hello again
I have new information and some issues that I forgot to mention before.

New information:
Today I had my first trans fail 30 minutes after driving
Then I only drove the car using manual shifting, and I had much less trans fail errors, however at one point, (about 2 hours later) shifting was hard when trying to go into 4rd gear, however this time I tried something new that worked most of the times, when shifting from 3rd to 4rd gear I will decelerate and immediately shift and 4rd gear will engage! It will work 50% of the times, the other 50% will go to 5th and then to 6th gear on its own before going to failsafe mode.

Things I forgot to mention:
On my way to the kids school there is a sharp turn, and if I drive around it at a speed of 60 kilometers/hr or more, the car will begin to stall and lights on the dashboard will blink, almost to the point of shutting down as soon as I exit the curve everything goes to normal, I don't know if this is related or not, just worth mentioning.
I also noticed that the failsafe program will engage more often going uphill and when hard acceleration occurs.
I don't know if the Rover has an altitude sensor that maybe is causing a lot of errors.
Thanks

PICCOLO777

Reaction score
update

I also found a diagram showing the transmission module which in this car I will need time to do your suggestion mentioned before, I was going to ask you if it could be easier to do a hard reset, however I don't know if this could carry more problems than the ones I have now, any suggestions? Thanks.

PICCOLO777

Reaction score
update

No changes on disconnecting the connectors for both devices. It keeps doing the same error, should I try a hard reset?
Thanks

Jsandoval2763

Reaction score
Sorry for the bad news . You can try resetting it but i doubt it will be that. I would get the shift motor tested to see if its faulty . Many times its the shift motor thats going bad. I wouldnt want to waste time testing other devices when 95% of the time the shift motor is the problem maker. It can also be that one of your solenoids or a clutch in the transmission has gone bad. We can get the easiest part out of the way and determine if its the problem. Im glad to help out. Have a great easter !

PICCOLO777

Reaction score
re thanks

Thank you very much for your assistance on everything.
Best regards

PICCOLO777

Reaction score
re trans fail update

Hello again, if you allow me I will like to ask one last question, do you know by any chance if the gentleman that you were first helping in this post, fixed his problem changing the trans motor as well?
Thank you, very much

Jsandoval2763

Reaction score
I will get in touch with him and see how its working out or if he has received the part

Jsandoval2763

Reaction score
It was a she. As she has yet to order the part but and find a reliable mechanic that will do it for a good price but will let us know what happens since the truck is getting worse daily.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut