unacceptable bounce while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

voodoohexnut

Reaction score
Gentlepersons,

I apologize if this has been covered in another thread.

In 2005 I bought a 2001 4.6 HSE RR that had 21,500 miles on it. In the past ten years I've put 29,000 miles on it. I was retired when I bought it; it has never been off-road.

Approximately a year ago, I ran up and over a curb with the left wheels that I couldn't see in the rain. It is testimony to RR that even damaged it got me 20 miles home, driving as carefully as possible.

You will be relieved to know I've had my eyes fixed. The local garage fixed the suspension damage.

Several days ago the truck developed an unacceptable bounce while driving. My impression is it's riding lower than it has the 10 years I've owned it. The least irregularity in the road's surface has it bouncing wildly. If I were not belted in my head would have hit the roof.

On the suspension indicator, the smooth road mark flashes amber. The indicator at the bottom, looks like "air recirculating" symbol, shows solid amber.

Example of problem: leaving a two lanes in each direction road, entering a local shopping center parking lot, one inch lip to the driveway, had the truck
bouncing severely as though I were driving in the Alaskan outback.

I know little about automotive technology. But my guess is this is either shock absorbers or perhaps the suspension.

Two questions please:

In its present condition, is my truck unsafe to drive? It doesn't always bounce, but it's an unwelcome development in a truck that has been coddled as long as I've owned it. And, Is this something a neighborhood garage can be trusted to fix or must I take it 25 miles to a LR dealer?

Thank you

voodoohexnut

Reaction score
forgotten possibly relevant detail

Am the OP of the unacceptable bounce thread.

For several years the truck goes "thunk" every so often, on the road or parked, as though a large, heavy door had been slammed. There's a perceptible vibration for a second. Neither the local garage that fixed the suspension a year ago, nor the LR dealer that gave it its 45,000 mile maintenance recently, had any idea what that is.

Thank you

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Not sure on the thunk sound...

Suspension sounds like you have a leak in the air suspension system, either an air bag going bad (very likely considering it's age) or you have an air compressor starting to go.

I would bet on the air bags, but either way get it checked out. Safe to drive yes, comfortable no.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV