Gearbox Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

rangerovernc

I turned the ignition key on my 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE to listen to a CD when it began to skip. I thought it was a dirty CD but before I could eject it the CD stopped playing. I then tried to turn the truck on and it began spitting out all of those crazy messages in the message centre: ABS failure, Traction failure, etc... I tried it again and same thing. The one message that keeps popping up is "Gearbox fault faillure" and the truck won't turn all the way over. Anyone got any clues as to what it could be. It only has 32K miles...Thanks so kindly..

S

SteveA

A weak battery will most definately cause the Gearbox fault message. If the gearbox ECU does not see at least 11.5 volts, it will send this message through the BeCM to the message centre in the dash. That's the first thing to fix. It will reset itself when the battery/charging issues are taken care of.

J

JackUnion

I hope that a flat battery is your problem but If the battery is not your problem you could try looking at the wiring connectors behind the kick panels on both sides by your feet. They have about 5 white connectors on each side, some have as many as 30 wires in them, these connectors often suffer from the "green disease" (corrosion). Just have a look and if you see the disease, cut off the connector and join the wires and heat shrink over them. All the feeds to the body control module run through these, also all the air ride signals and a whole host of other signals. This is one of the big problem areas on the this model, in fact connectors in general are a problem on this model and I do them all the time so it's worth having a look and if everything is ok maybe spray a little rust proof or something in there just to help fend off any problems later.

R

rangerovernc

Many thanks to TheBoy & SteveA as it was the battery that was causing my worries. Funny thing though, I could only get that battery from the dealer. Not even Sears carried it.

mccln

Reaction score
00 range rover

I have an issue, 00 range rover got washed on top of motor. It drove about 7 minutes, it got shut off and doesn't want to start back up. It cranks over, than I noticed a Gearbox fault signal. Any clue on what's going on? Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72