Engine idle and misfire issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeterE

Reaction score
MY 05 LR3 with 54K started to idle/run rough, check engine light came on two days ago. Even under load there is still a rough "hitch" in the motor. I filled up the tank with high grade fuel, added Heet, Chev. injector cleaner, Seafoam and ran it for 30+ minutes at highway speed and around town for about an hour . The idle vibration lessened but is still there after driving around town yesterday and today. "Reduced engine performance" is displayed on the info center and for sure power is noticeably reduced when attempting to pass or climb. Ran a check on the codes and this is what came up:

P0307
P0303
P0300
P0316
P0579.

I'm planning on driving it till this tank of gas is gone and hope that what I'm experiencing is the effect of not putting premium in the tank for the last 5+ fills and it clears up.

After exploring the backroads of eastern Washington for 3 hours the issue persists. Power seems to be decreasing

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the engine and when was it last tuned?
Most of the additives you installed won't help this problem and sure as hell you don't want to drive till the tank is low, most likely you would also then need to replace both cats.
Do you always rub high test?
If you want some help, PM me your number and I'll call you tomorrow.

PeterE

Reaction score
It's at just under 53.5K and the last tune was at about 30k. I usually run premium fuel from Chevron or Texaco and also add injector cleaner once or twice a year.

PeterE

Reaction score
I'm changing the spark plugs right now and wonder if there is a torque spec I should tighten the new plugs to? They're E3's btw.

PeterE

Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas. So I've changed the plugs and it still is running rough. I wonder if there might be a bad coil pack. Seems like the next logical step so I'm looking for YouTube help for checking those packs out.

Have any of you had trouble with the coil pack wiring harness failing? They seemed very brittle when I removed them doing the spark plug change.

Engine temp gauge hits "normal" in 3-5 min of around town driving which also concerns me. Could that indicate problems with the cats?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, a coil can fail and should be tested, your coolant temp will not add to the roughness.

PeterE

Reaction score
I'm changing the ignition coils and am wondering if I just need to do the two that coincide with the misfire code or do all 8. Cost is an issue since OE parts run $110 ea or $850 for the full set (British Atlantic prices).

I see that AutoZone and O'Reilly's have identical looking coils for $38-60 with a lifetime warranty. Does anyone have experience with on OE coils? I'm ok with them failing at shorter intervals if they don't cause other issues to the system.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Auto zone can match their coils by size and voltage then do for it.

PeterE

Reaction score
Diagnosed the 1 failing ignition coil and installed the one from AutoZone coil today. The truck now runs like a top! So after a week of research and waiting for parts it's all good now. $270 and didn't break the bank in the least...

Autozone coil pack - $40 (lifetime warranty)
8 E3 spark plugs - $40
MAF cleaner - $10
Innova 3130c OBDII scanner - $180

Thanks DiscoMike for the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi