Black spots on wheels (oxidation?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vindio

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the 2011 LR4 HSE has clear coated aluminum wheels?

I was detailing my car today, and noticed the wheels on the right side have these black spots that don't come off with normal cleaners.

Took a scotch brite pad to one of the wheels, and the black spots started to come off (w/ some pretty tough elbow grease), but want to make sure I'm not scratching off the clear coat in the process.

Any thoughts?

TIA

v

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheels are typically painted with an enamel paint or powder coated. they do have a clear coating that you are scrubbing into and destroying. the black spots are typically sintered metal shavings from the brakes (brake dust) and can be removed safely with a clay bar followed by a good wheel wax which will help keep the sintered metal from re-attaching. Be careful about using acidic wheel cleaners or any cleaner on hot wheels as this will etch the surface and make allow the particles to attach easier.

If you want good advice, try detailersdomain.com (no affiliation just huge respect for their work) for products and instructions.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Sonax wheel cleaner on many wheels with amazing results!

I love the product, hate the smell! P21S is another good product that is ph neutral but not quiet as good as sonax full effect. $99 for 5 liters of either is a little tough to swallow so i use them both sparingly. Every 6 months the wheels come off and are clayed, sealed and waxed (fronts and barrels) and then re-installed.

I am looking forward to trying their new gel based Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus as it seems to be an even further improvement on a great product.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA