96 P38 Range Rover, Were do I begin!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josiahromano

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 96 rover as the title says. Had the 4.6 litre v8 and I'm having some issues with it. I'll start from the bottom and work my way through the issues.
1. Small oil leak at a secondary seal point. Not sure if this can be replaced or if it's something I'm going to have to live with.
2. There is some sort of squealing noise coming from the top end of the motor. When I step on the fuel it increases. Could this be a lifter? Could it be from not enough oil getting to the top end? It's not the belt I just replaced it.
3. Electrical drain. New battery. But cant seem to find were this drain is coming from. The vehicle runs just fine once it's started and will stay running indefinitely. But won't stay charged over night. So I know it's not the alternator since the alternator is charging the system while it is running.
4. Why does the vehicle say the windows are not set on the instrument panel? It has always done this.
5. The climate controls don't work at all. When I start the vehicle it sounds as if the fan trys to come on but the quits. Sounds like there could be something stuck in it, like it has a flapper.
Just some additional information for anyone that has any words of wisdom for me. This rover came with the EAS (electronic air suspension) that has been removed completely and this vehicle sits on coils and shocks. Also the steroid has been removed and an after market system was installed when I bought it. That was stolen recently so just trying to fill in the holes for anyone who is more savvy then I am about rovers.
Thanks again

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

1. How bad is this leak, keep in mind all older rovers leak something
2. Squealing I would look at the belt tensioner... buy a cheap mechanics stethoscope and listen for offending part.
3. Electrical drain - disconnect battery and put a meter between the batter and cable. check voltage then remove fuses until voltage drops to zero. make sure hood light has been unplugged during test.
4. Windows need reset, roll them down one at a time after it opens keep holding button for 10 seconds, then roll all the way up, keep holding for ten seconds. Do all windows.
5. Climate controls could be a lot of things, start by checking all fuses.

josiahromano

Reaction score
Joey, Thanks for the info! Checked the tensioner. It's not there. The noise is definitely upper end in the motor. Also with the climate controls when I first start the vehicle there is a flapping g noise under the dash at the passenger side. Any ideas? I'll be running down those battery drains this week! Thanks again!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a possible bad blend motor (climate issue). As far as a squealing noise in the top end. I would get a long screwdriver or the stethoscope...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick