2001 P38 HSE 4.6 Vogue Error codes and performance issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cathys

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just purchased a 2001 P38 HSE 4.6 Vogue. Took it to a Land Rover "mechanic" and he looked it over (computer test, drove it around and checked the paint if original) and assured me that everything was running well and it was a good buy for the year etc. The Land Rover Service Centre wouldn't look over the car for me as it has LPG.

When I was driving home on LPG, I noticed that when I was pressing the gas a little bit for stable town driving, the car was shuddering.. when I accelerate more, then it feels normal. But over 90-100 km/hr the car is not easy to drive, shuddering and it doesn't feel very powerful. When I change it to petrol, the engine is shuddering a lot (especially noticeable when starting in the morning before switching to LPG). Also, it doesn't go over 60-70 km/hr very easily on petrol. On LPG the engine is quiet and semi-ok when the tank is full, after half-way it feels less powerful.

When I got home I read the codes that were given to me (which the mechanic said were normal when running LPG and I wished I paid attention to before buying - I think because they don't speak English, they don't pay attention to them).
- KOD001 = Lambda sensor upstream catalyst bank 1
- KOD002 = Rough road signal implausible
- KOD003 = Oxy sensor heater upstream cat bank 1
- KOD004 = Oxy sensor heater upstream cat bank 2
- KOD005 = Mixture adaption factor FRA bank 2
- KOD006 = Lambda sentor upstream catalyst bank 2
- KOD007 = Catalyst damaging misfire multiple cylinders
- KOD008 = Catalyst damaging misfire cycl 4
- KOD001 = Short circut fault in SRS warning lamp circut 1
- KOD002 = Short to GND in RH pretensioner circut
- KOD003 = Short circut fault in driver airbag circut

Also then saw a whole lot of errors on the dash (mechanic said was due to car not being used for awhile and probably battery):
- Airbag Fault
- Bonnet open
- Traction failure, slow 55km/hr
- Sunroof not set (drove home in torrential rain/snow and sunroof was leaking)
- Occasionally an ABS error comes up

I am not mechanically-minded but sick of people saying they know what they are fixing, pulling the whole thing apart, charging me lots and then not actually fixing it. Would like to go to the Service Centre with an idea so I don't get ripped off.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Cathy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA