2006 Sport With Leaking Sunroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

adplusone

Does anyone else with a 2006 Sport have a leaking (water not air) sunroof. 5 trips to the dealer and no fix...they now said duct tape it when I go thru the carwash...there is one other 06 Sport in town...he has the same problem....does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks!

M

MikeinSac

Leak

I purchased my RR Sport back in August. The first time I ran it through the Car Wash water was everywhere. You would think the dealer would have found this strange. I find that the sunroof does not fully close and still slightly tilted down when "closed". I brought it into the dealer and showed them the problem. They "fixed" it by cleaning out the "clogged drain" and did not adjust the roof. I just had the first rain storm and sure enough, leaks! I have a feeling that this is a problem that going to plague this vehicle - sounds like multiple owners have the same problem. Any inputs from others who may have had this problem and had it corrected?

M

MToomey

It's not a Range Rover, but...

My 2001 Discovery likes to leak water as well. Overall, the windows and seals are not that great. My solution, albiet simple - no more high powered car washes. Seriously though, I had never hand washed my Discovery or any other cars I've ever owned until I bought the Mr. Clean Car Wash system. The thing is totally awesome, it's even got a spot free rinse setting on it, that ACTUALLY WORKS!! I've been using it for a year and have not been back to the car wash since.

So, in a round about way, I solved my leaky windows and seals problems.

M

MikeinSac

Leak

I don't but am very concerned as it looks as if this may become a serious manufacturing defect if more users begin to experience the same problem. I have not checked the recall list to see if anything has been initiated. I'm planning to bring mine back (2nd Time) to have them look at it again. I'll ask them if they have had other owners come in with the same problem. Not sure if they'll tell me this?
I won't have the patience, nor the time, to bring this back 5 times to have it corrected. Have you contacted RR directly?

R

rovertech

tell them to check and make sure the drains are hooked up on the sunroof. its not uncommon to see them off.

C

Cat

I have not encountered this problem w/ '06 RRS that my wife drives. However, I did encounter same problem that you describe in my '05 LR3 when purchased last October. After two trips to dealer to fix problem, it was corrected when tech "resecured drain tubes to sunroof" as Rovertech pointed out in previous post. Problem has not recurred since that time...(fingers & toes are crossed)
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2181&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:

lloydy0470

Reaction score
Range rover HSE Sport 2005>

I have been having a lot of issues with the sunroof leaking when it rains heavily and when in car washes etc, with water building up in the footwells and water dripping from the ceiling mounted sunroof opener buttons and i believe i have solved this issue for now as a tempoary measure.

Using 10mm electrical tape and the sunroof completely wound back fully, i used the 10mm electrical tape and wrapped it 5-7 times around the inside of the roof (not the Glass part) and it seems to have stopped the leak completely. This repair completely seals the glass sunroof to roof when closed. I know this is only a tempoary measure but i took it through the car wash this evening and not a drop came into the car.

If anyone else has the same issue and solved it in another way without using electrical tape or using the reset function by opening the sunroof to the tilt mode, then holding the tilt open button for aproximately 30 second waiting for the motor mechanism to move then opening the sunroof completely and closing it resulting in the resetting the sunroof position then id be more than happy to try it that way.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seal on the glass is servicable.

Also, that seal is a designed leak, hence the need for the drain tubes. If they are not flowing correctly, water will back up in the drain pan, and overflow, causing a leak from above.

SC_BLACKOUT

Reaction score
RoverGuy is right on the money! We confront this issue a lot in our body shop...sunroof leaks. If the carpet is getting wet on the floor board and not dripping from the seal check this. *Open your sunroof all the way open, look into the two front corners of the sunroof drain ledge (corners towards the windshield). *In each corner you have a drain hole, inspect for debris clogging the hole. Attached to that corner drain is a small holes that runs down the windshield post and always the water in the sunroof gutter to drain under the truck. * Take a bottle or cup of water and pour in each corner drain, it should drip from under the truck. If it doesn't you have a clogged hose. *We first try using a air blower to try and push out the debris, then test again with water. If it doesn't drain try the air again. *If those attempts fail we use .030 welding wire from a mig welder because it's very thin. Use caution using large wire you may push off the hose. Carefully work the wire back and forth until the wire exits the drain hose under the truck. Then water test again. It can be time consuming but once your drain lines are free the water should stop running down the pillar and getting your carpet wet. Good luck! Msg me or email if you have any questions.

johnkoot

Reaction score
Same here, range rover sport 2006, roof leaks, a big shame.... tubes are okay, up to 10 times resetted the motor, nothing works, can try new seals, but have no high expectations to solve the rain in my car............

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA