03 Range Rover loud engine ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DBSAspen

Reaction score
The engine tapping/knocking noise has been present for quite some time, although recently seems to have increased in volume. The noise is most apparent at low RPMs, under 2500 or so. At higher RPMs the noise is almost not noticeable.

The sound seems to be coming from the upper left (passenger) side of the engine. Here's a video taken showing the sound.
(https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=Nd0YsC4olcQ&video_referrer=watch)

I’ve had the vehicle in the shop for literally months. The mechanic was apparently unable to determine the cause…. other than telling me it’s “engine noise”.

I’m hoping someone has experienced a similar issue with their ’03 Range Rover and may be able to share some light on what’s causing the problem and possible solutions to it.

Thanks.
D. Siegel

Last edited:

WereWolf1967

Reaction score
The engine tapping/knocking noise has been present for quite some time, although recently seems to have increased in volume. The noise is most apparent at low RPMs, under 2500 or so. At higher RPMs the noise is almost not noticeable.

The sound seems to be coming from the upper left (passenger) side of the engine. Here's a video taken showing the sound.
(https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=Nd0YsC4olcQ&video_referrer=watch)

I’ve had the vehicle in the shop for literally months. The mechanic was apparently unable to determine the cause…. other than telling me it’s “engine noise”.

I’m hoping someone has experienced a similar issue with their ’03 Range Rover and may be able to share some light on what’s causing the problem and possible solutions to it.

Thanks.
D. Siegel

OK, This is old timey hot rodder stuff, If the noise is higher pitched and increases in frequency, possible lifter leakdown. If the noise is a little heavier and at double speed of the engine, possible piston/rod wrist pin. If a heavier sound like a thunking, possible rod bearing. If the noise is somewhat medium sound and sounds like a diesel engine idling, could be a woodruff keyway opening up on the front of the crankshaft where the front harmonic balancer is held in place. Hope all this helps. Also, use a long metal extension automotive stethoscope to move around & isolate the sounds.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA