Jeep/Toyota guy needing your knowledge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manhattan

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a former Land Rover owner, current CJ and Land Cruiser owner... thinking about an older (1983) 110. The problems I had with my '96 left me kind of jaded - I've been avoiding Land Rovers since getting rid of that one in '99.

But, I just can't get over the 110. Despite owning some of the most iconic (non-Land Rover) 4x4s, I still contend the 110 is the "perfect" SUV. I just LOVE everything about the design. It's the reliability that has me a bit nervous.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the '83 110 - the 3.5L gas V8, LT95 4-speed, etc.

Thanks!

bushmaster

Reaction score
All Land Rover have a reliability problem; for 2 reasons; very few decent mechanics available and people who do their own repairs and maintenance seldom read the manual.
I had 7 land Rovers and I had Toy, Nissan Patrol etc. The only vehicle that I can compare to the Land Rover is the jeep Willys 1952 and 1953 model.the 110 83 is also a very good car and the engine is great in my opinion. It has to be maintained by the book: that's all

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good observation, Bush.

I've been thinking about a 110 (Thinking mind you, coz I'm broke)

I honestly can't figure out what could possibly go wrong in a truck like that.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 110 engine and drivetrain are basically the same as your '96 disco. The main difference is a different main gearbox and different ignition system.
The major difference is the body, obviously, and way fewer electronics.

Paul K

Reaction score
The 3.5 V8 sounds great, but it's not very powerful. I had one in my '85 Ninety SW. Ended up swapping it for a 3.9 Efi. Much better, and widely available.

Unless you get bery lucky, your '83 will need a bulkhead & chassis replacement. That will likely cost you north of $15k.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA