Suspension issue 2005 LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L8RSK8R

Reaction score
I'm trying to fix my brothers LR3. He'd had it in last week, for upper/lower control arms, then they smacked him upside the head with a supplemental repair order.

Code C1A20-64 Replace air suspension compressor, with AMK update kit @ $1,300

He declined the extra repair, and now his front end is sitting on the bump stops.
It will not raise.

I removed the compressor (it was quite hot) and ran 12V to it, it powered up and ran.
How confident should I be in their diagnosis, and would replacing the compressor solve the issue.

I hate to throw money/parts at vehicles, and have read numerous times here, of Land Rover throwing parts at cars and not solving the issues.

Ciaran

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old compressor may run independently, but that doesn't mean that it is healthy enough to be the heart of the EAS. It may be overheating or be otherwise ineffective to fill the air springs.

The move to the AMK compressor can be looked at as an upgrade that we will all have to make eventually if we intend to keep our LR3s. I'd just do it.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you feel handy you can do the job fairly easily in an hour or so with this guide:

http://www.disco 3 dot co dot uk/forum/topic84165.html

I did and it cost me about $600 for the kit off eBay. If the compressor runs, then it may be that your brother has an airflow problem through the dryer part as the beads disintegrate to dust and block the filter(s). Or you may have an air leak (cracked line or cover of dryer). There are a number of guides on fixing that up for extra life...

Last edited:

L8RSK8R

Reaction score
I opened up the dryer, there was a little bit of dust. I baked the remaining beads for 2 hours at 200 degrees. Washed and dried the filters and reinstalled the compressor. I bench tested the compressor before installing, and the air flow was greatly improved.
Previous to doing this, the front shocks were empty and riding on bump stops.
Currently the fronts have inflated. The message displayed now is,
"Suspension will raise once system cooled"

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...let us know when that has happened!

L8RSK8R

Reaction score
Once I turn on the car, the compressor runs for 20-30 seconds. I let it idle for a few minutes, then raise the vehicle to highest setting. Message appears "Suspension will raise once system cooled" even though the vehicle does raise.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may still have a leak/blockage and so the compressor is protecting itself - I think there's a temp sensor in there somewhere on the Hitachi pump. If you have cleaned up the filter and the media and you're sure you don't have a leak, may be worth spending about $25 on the refurb kit which is new O ring(s), spring(s) and a new valve for the compressor.

L8RSK8R

Reaction score
There is a temp sensor. Little black boot on left of pump pictured.
Brother just took off to on two hour trip, now he's getting warning light on far left of message center. He hasn't adjusted suspension settings.

Attachments

• Hitachi LR3 compressor.jpg
    Hitachi LR3 compressor.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Dash Lights LR3.JPG
    Dash Lights LR3.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 43

waspjr123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the temp sensor it should just unscrew and hold it away from the housing and see if it helps also do a continuity check maybe it has. Melted due to intense overheat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72