Cooper Zeon LTZ Off-Road tires on Stock 19" Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 don't go wider! I think the absolute best traction I've had in my life was with the old RR county. 205 or 215 I think. Taller is fine, but go narrower if possible. It probably has a recommended size in the LR2 manual. The recommended size for LR3 LR4 is 245 - sum thin'

edit: pretty much a duplicate of AxelR's post I guess...

midtsy

Reaction score
Coopers mounted today!

Hello - been watching the thread for a while. Just had the dealer install a fresh set of 255/55R19 Cooper Zeon Ltz's on my 2010 LR4 HSE. Coming from the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's that were on the truck when I picked it up. Initial impression is that they are a dedicated off road tire that comes with a bit more stiffness, which will fit my use of the vehicle. The Duelers were very soft and quiet but held no confidence on the BC trails etc. Will update as they wear and perform on the loose chunky mountainside rocks that we travel on.

Regards

Rybone89

Reaction score
So 255/55/R19 would be the same width as 235/55/R19, but taller? 255/60/R19 would be wider? When I say width I'm talking about one side of a tire to the other...like if your looking at a vehicle from behind. I see most places refer to width as being the diameter for some reason...

I can get Blizzak DM-V1 for $1100 total from TireRack + install, or a set of Toyo Observe GSi-5 for $1300 from 1010tires.com + install. I'm in Canada so the Blizzaks are actually ~$600 each but after currency conversion and shipping it's ~$1100. 1010tires.com is Canadian.

I'm at 84K km still using the stock Continentals, so these winters will go on my existing rims. Next summer I plan on switching to 20" rims (255/55/R20). Apparently you can't get a wider tire in 20"?

Haven't looked at what studded tires will cost yet.

Last edited:

Rybone89

Reaction score
Sorry guys that last post probably doesn't make any sense. I now understand the first number has to do with width, not the second number. If I wanted taller winter tires I should switch from 235/55/19 to 235/65/19, keeping the width the same. I don't think they make 255/65/20 so if I want a larger rim I can get a taller tire but not wider, hmm.

EDIT: Would 245/60/R20 fit on the LR2? That seems to be the only combo where I could get a taller and wider tire with bigger rim.

Last edited:

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rybone, IMHO a good place to start should be tire rack where you can plug your vehicle in and see the sizes (stock, plus 0, plus 1, minus 1) that will fit without issues. If you're looking for a larger sidewall and narrower tire (better for snow) then you may need to drop rim size to 19" though the options there may get even smaller.....I;ve had blizzak's in the past and they were great in the ice and snow, a little mushy in the dry, but unstoppable in the snow. Also had some vredesteins as well that were good too but not sure they make anything to fit the LR

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the Cooper Zeons installed today 255/55/19-so far pretty quiet, nice look and far more tread for the upcoming winter.

Attachments

• lr4tires.jpg
    lr4tires.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 154
  • lr4tires1.jpg
    lr4tires1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 156

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will likely be pulling the trigger on a set of Zeons before this winter. Have ~30k on the Contis and they were pretty bad last winter. Does anyone have 1st hand experience on how the Zeons perform in the snow? I've read mixed reviews and would honestly put more weight on an opinion from someone on the forum. I realize they're no Blizzaks, but hoping for better than Contis. Thanks in advance.

Craig

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their performance will not even be close to dedicated winters. On packed, freezing snow and ice you will still slip and slide along with anyone else without snow tires (or chains.) On groomed or soft / wet snow, they will do just fine as long as you don't expect miracles from them, and they'll do much better than the summer-only Contis that Land Rover foolishly installs on our cars regardless of where we live. The Zeon LTZs aren't winter tires, nor do they pretend to be... If snow and freezing temps are a common occurrence where you live, there is no substitute for a tire designed for severe winter conditions. I had the Zeons on a couple of trips up the local mountains back when it used to snow here in California - remember the days? - and I managed fine because of all the grooming and salt, but they didn't exactly inspire confidence.

Last edited:

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that it is relevant, but I don't think we salt roads in socal.

Do we have any one who has put some miles on GY duratecs yet? or...GY adventures (I think those are the only two other options for AT besides the Coops)?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This guy did... lots of salt. A few years ago I rented a cabin up in Big Bear with the family and my Sport (with the Zeons) never made it up the moderately steep driveway leading to it - until I sprinkled a ton of rock salt on it and sat around a while waiting for it to do its trick. :biggrin: Don't know what they used on the roads up there back then (if anything), it looked like some type of sand or something, but it seemed to work. Haven't been up our mountains in ages during wintertime, though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72