Blacked out tail lights

Should I leave the lights blacked out?

• Keep them blacked out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get new lights

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capoc

Reaction score
I bought this LR3 used and the previous owner painted the tail lights black. I've tried to use paint thinner and lighter fluid to wipe off the paint but it will not come off. Is there an easier way to get the paint off without sanding it or should I just leave it as is? Also when I brake during the day other drivers cannot see my brake lights light up.

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpg
    IMG_2647.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally lame....might need new assemblies.

capoc

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I was trying to convince myself it wasn't too bad. Now I guess my next question would be where is the best place to get the LR4 style tail lights and if anyone was in the market for some blacked out ones.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the though process that goes in to people who want make something harder to see that keeps people from hitting your car.

DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid is a pretty good paint remover. If you try it, remove the lights from the car first. It might fog the lights some, but at this point it sounds like you don't have much to loose.

gypsy

Reaction score
I would remove them from the truck and try a light coat of brake fluid to take off as much of the paint as possible, followed by sanding them down to remove the remainder.

Start with a semi-coarse grit sand paper and work your way down to eventually wet sanding them. They should come out as new.

It's a bit of a task...but if you don't want to spend the money on new assemblies this will be a cheap fix.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a good excuse to upgrade to the LR4 style LED clusters...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV