LR4 Second Battery Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96_993TT

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Guess this can by my introduction to the board. :) I've been a long time LR and RR owner and have recently purchased a 2012 LR4. My previous LR was a 2008 LR3 and it was a great vehicle. So, getting to the point of the thread I was a little bummed to find that LR had filled the second battery box with a bunch of stuff in the LR4. Before I purchased my truck I shot pictures of the area and compared them to what was in the LR3 and determined that I could move everything out of the way and keep everything intact so I could revert to OEM should I ever need to sell the truck down the road. So, here's a few pictures of the install and where I relocated the Transfer Case control unit to accommodate the second battery. The rest of the install was basic to how the LR3 was run. I'm using the Traxide LR3 full install kit running to the rear of the LR4 for power to our ARB cooler. BTW, the ARB coolers are amazing and also highly recommended. Anyhow, here goes!

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2316.JPG

IMG_2321.jpg

Last edited:

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
impressive. If i ever do this, I know who to ping.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work, look like the Traxide unit, good stuff.

On the rear sockets, I installed them in a neat little spot which is better than the recommended location.

www. disco3. co. uk/ gallery/thumbnails.php?album=21899

96_993TT

Reaction score
@tlt Nice work! Yep, Traxide, same unit as yours. Its been flawless! I thought about putting the sockets there but decided not to drill holes this time. I did in my LR3 but when I sold it I pulled the unit leaving the holes. Didn't look pretty and decided against it on this one. I ran cable to both sides of the truck and purchased Marine grade sockets that have a waterproof housing. Opted to leave them in the two cubbies and just pull them out when needed. They do pass through and I can still close the covers. I do like your solution though. Very clean and stealth. :)

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size/group battery did you use? I should receive my traxide kit this week.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had seen this install before I did mine. I ended up mounting the ECU near the traxide unit.

Anyway...someone asked "why"?
To run a fridge in the back off of a second battery so there's no risk of running the main battery down to the point you can't start in the morning when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg,

Great idea and thanks for sharing! The second battery is "on my list..."

How is your install working? Have you had any problems with the ECU exposed?

Thanks,
Land Rover Joe

96_993TT

Reaction score
@LRJ No problems whatsoever. I didn't think I would since the Transfer Case Control (which is what this is, not the ECU) was exposed in the LR3. Its still in the same battery box so its pretty well protected from the elements. I've even had my truck wading pretty deep without any adverse effects. I plan on shooting more pictures of the ARB Cooler install which slides out and the tread plate that its mounted on this summer. With this setup I can still use one of the rear 3rd row seats which has come in very handy on family vacations. I'll get the pictures up on this thread when I setup my truck for Summer. Rover On!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV