04 range rover hse transfailsafe experience help to others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsandoval2763

Reaction score
Hello community yes i am new on here but decided to join this forum to tell you my experience with the dredded famous transfailsafe message on my range rover. The problem i had was every time id turn the truck on it would give me the transfailsafe message nomatter what. It would run good at times but that leading into running in highest gear would be 3 and running in high rpms wich is bad for the motor and trans. Most of the time i would move it ans as soon as it wanted to shift to second it would give me the thump and lock into 3rd gear so i would pull over and restart it 2 times until it ran again as previously mentioned high rpms but ran fine. I went to a local foreign car repair shop where they looked up what was wrong with it after doin much research online and reading forums i thought it was first the speed sensor wich i replaced previously . Was was wrong . The shop had told me and showed me that it was a weak signal to the shift motor or to battery i really cant remember but he deleted the faults from the transmission and as soon as he turned the key on without even moving it the transfailsafe message popped up therefore had to be an electrical problem. I decided i would replace the trans. Shift motor which i looked up on ebay and found a company who rebuilds them with a 1yr warranty. I decided to purchase it for $598 i beleive was the price but after you send them the core theyd refund u for $150 for your core. I received my rebuilt motor and i replaced it and guess what ? After i turned the key on with high hopes the message never apeared again ! I removed the negative cable from the battery to reset the service engine light on and from there on i was a happy camper ! For 425 or so dollars i was happier than anyone in the world ! Instead of paying 600 for a used one or 1200 for a new one i really hope i gave yall that had same problems a solution as i found mine and solved my problem :driver: send me a message i am happy to answer any questions :hello:

CG2010

Reaction score
Same Problem

Hey Jsandoval2763,

I have been having the same issue!! Every-time I start the truck up, it would drive good and then there goes the transfailsafe sign and nowadays the check engine sign comes on and off. The truck then begins to slow down and takes a while to pick up. The last time it even felt like someone hit me from the back. Please tell me how your truck is driving since you changed the trans shift motor because the mechanics are trying to charge me $2,500, stating that I need to rebuild my transmission. But I am having the same problem as you. Please respond.

Jsandoval2763

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for your questions i will be glad to answer them. Yes you are experiencing common effects . As stated i would get both transfailsafe message and check enging light which at times the car would **** into 3 gear with a big thump pushing u forward from the seat. As well as when you press the gas the car would barely move taking time to get speed. The most common solution is to change the transfer shft motor which the potentiometer has gone faulty leading to drastic problems not knowing what it could be. Answer me this. Does the trans failsafe message come on as soon as u turn on ur car ? And to answer about how rebuilt motor is holding up its is great ! No more problems nor messages have popped up. Im a happy camper ! Let me know thanks

CG2010

Reaction score
Hello Again,

Sometimes it would happen when I first start the truck,but it mostly happens as I am driving. I am happy to finally get in touch with someone who has been through the same situation. Now I can try your method, do you mind letting me know the best place to.try and purchase a motor. Thank you for answering my post hope to hear from you soon.

Jsandoval2763

Reaction score
Hello and no problem. I try and help as much as i can to all the rover fans that want a solution to that dredded problem. As i stated i found a seller on ebay as ffwauto you can look up the shift motor it should be a rebuild for about $579 us dollars plus 19.99 shipping . Are you located in the U.S? They are from california. Id rather buy a rebuilt one with one year warranty than spend few thousand on what i will still get with a rebuilt one. You can message me for more details for seller thanks hope all goes well

CG2010

Reaction score
I am going to take your advice and try your method, I'll let you know the outcome. I thank you so much for your time!!

Jsandoval2763

Reaction score
No problem any time ! One thing when u replace the shift motor make sure ur key fob is not in the ignition switch once u replace the shift motor and bolt it back on and plug it in then turn ur car on. Let it run for a minute or 2 and turn off. Remove the negative cable from the battery wait 15 sec and place it back on. Turn the car on and you should have to turn the wheel all the way to left then to right to reset the suspension all the lights should go away then you should be good .

CG2010

Reaction score
Hello Again,

Actually I was not going to replace it myself, I actually am going to get a mechanic to do so. But thanks for the heads up.

PICCOLO777

Reaction score
re same horrible symptoms PLEASE HELP

Hello, I am having exactly the same problem, I have a Range Rover Sport supercharged and if I drive it in the morning, everything is perfect as soon as I restart the car or an hour has gone by, the car starts to feel constipated and I cannot move from 3rd to 4th gear, sometimes manual shifting could help but, its rare. And if I try o shift it will eventually make a hard shifting and return to 3rd gear.
Can you please tell me where this part is located? And if you were able to trick the car somehow?
I am desperate as you were, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards

Jsandoval2763

Reaction score
Hello there ! I will be glad to help out as much as i can. I have a few questions . Have you changed any of your tires lately or one that is not the same as the other ? What year model is your truck so i can tell you where this part is located at. To answer your questions there is no way of tricking the truck into shifting properly if the shift motor has gone bad it will keep on messing with the gears. I have to know your year model to better give u some steps to find out what it can be and maybe solve your issue. Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA