Transmission Failsafe Prog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rangerover guy

Reaction score
hello i have a 03 range rover L322 and and whenever i try to accelerate past like 2nd gear the transmission kicks and gets stuck and gets hard to accelerate. also when i come to a light it will barely move when i try to start up and kick and do the same thing. if anybody knows what it might be please help thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles? Have you ever had the transmission serviced?

rangerover guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply it has 113000 miles and and no i have not had the trAnsmission serviced it has been sitting for almost a year now but i do start it up like 2 times a month and drive it around the yard at a low speed and it seems to do good for a while then it will do the knock.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this happen when first starting out with a cold engine/transmission or does it only happen after they heat up? The reason I ask is because the transmission has a failsafe shift pattern that it defaults to whenever the fluid temperature gets too hot. Basically, the shift pattern will not allow you to shift past 3rd gear I believe and it will hold onto gears as long as possible to minimize any shifting, thus attempting to keep the fluid temperature lower.

rangerover guy

Reaction score
Yes it does keep saying that keep saying that the fluid temp is to hot . Also i havent had the the transmission oil level checked so do you think its going into failsafe because the transmission oil temp is too high because of it being low. Or something else

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it does keep saying that keep saying that the fluid temp is to hot . Also i havent had the the transmission oil level checked so do you think its going into failsafe because the transmission oil temp is too high because of it being low. Or something else

Could be that the fluid level is too low or it could be that the fluid isn't being cooled properly. Quite often around your mileage the radiators on these things plug up or develop a lot of sediment at the bottom. This blocks the flow of coolant into the transmission oil cooler and the only way to fix it is by replacing the radiator. Of course, it might be that your transmission cooler needs to be replaced. Whatever the problem ends up being, I would certainly have the transmission fluid flushed/replaced at this point.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I would do if it has been sitting that long with that many miles is have the Transmission Flushed and new fluids. The temp could be the Trans ECU or the fluid is just bad.

Stanjr

Reaction score
I had the same issues. My truck wouldn't get out of third gear. The problem was trans vavle body. One of the solenoids was bad. I had all of them replaced and everything is fine.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slack