The annual 19 inch tire question! Whattya got? Whattya like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got rid of my original GY tires when they wore down and moved on to the 19" Michelin Synchrones. I liked them a lot better in terms of ride, but I didn't find them to be any better in sand or snow. The tires are still pretty smooth and even a little mud or snow will fill up the treads and you have yourself a set of slicks!

I'm looking for a good all around tire. I won't be changing tires out based on offroad trips.

So, I'd like something which isn't too loud on the road (a little more volume is fine) but has more grip off road.

Since last time I shopped for tires several more have come out so I thought I'd ask. There is another thread going on regarding the GY MT/Rs but the reviews don't sound promising for me;
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4852

I'm at 92K now, so I've done pretty good for 2 sets of tires. I could probably take the current set closer to 100K, but I'd like to upgrade for summer beach driving.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - I just did a TireRack search and there are 12 tires listed for the LR3 HSE!
I remember when there were only 2.
The list of Tire Size: 255/55-19;
http://bit.ly/aUgJM0

Or -

1. Dunlop SP Sport Signature (H&V) (High Performance All-Season)
  2. Yokohama ADVAN S.T. (Street/Sport Truck Summer)
  3. Firestone Destination ST (Street/Sport Truck All-Season
  4. Goodyear Wrangler HP All Weather (Street/Sport Truck All-Season
  5. Pirelli Scorpion Zero (Street/Sport Truck All-Season
  6. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season
  7. Continental 4x4 Contact (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season)
  8. Michelin Latitude Tour HP (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season
  9. Pirelli Scorpion ATR (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain)
  10. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (Off-Road Maximum Traction
  11. Goodyear Ultra Grip SUV (Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow
  12. Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow (Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow)

How do the Mich. Latitudes compare to the Synchrones?

Of interest, from looking at that list is
another set of Michelins,
the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza and
Pirelli Scorpiion ATRs.

The Scorpian ATR actually have the nicest look, but I haven't seen a picture of the low profile 19" tire we'd need. Anyone?

pi_scorpatr_ci2_l.jpg

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to see a good discussion here also!
I want to keep my 19's, and will be needing new tires before winter.

I had my eye on the Pirelli Scorpion ATR, as it seemed about as "off-road" as I could get without going to the MT/R's.
Anyone have experience with these Scorpion ATRs?

Also, I have some rods on order. If I give an inch or two of lift, are there new 19 tire possibilities if I increase tire size slightly?

goinsurfin

Reaction score
The ATRs have exceeded my expectations in many areas. Milage: i have over 30k on them and still decent remaining tread. Wear is very even. They are extremely quiet= even now, i do not notice them on my monthly trips around FL. As for trails, I've have had zero issues while exploring the everglades- terrain includes sand, rocks, thick mud/sandy water, and logs. I'd like to order another pair but the last time i checked they were on back order at tirerack. Not sure if there is an update. I believe they have a 50k tread life- a superior solution for road based use but very capable on trails... I do wish i could drive on trails but that time is coming...I highly recommend them over latitude/synchrones and others for 19" wheels... go to my gallery to see them on my ride...

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the Synchrones, just got the Bridgestones. I have no complaints about the Bridgestones, but they are not a good off-road tire. The tread on the Synchrone was about perfect for my use (never got stuck), but I'm a little concerned about going deep bush with my current set up.

I saw the Continental Contacts on the LR4 this past weekend while picking up my ride from service. They looked a bit more aggressive than the Latitude and Bridgestone (Latitudes just look bad), but still a street tire.

If I could have found them, I would have purchased the Pirelli ATRs. They are low or no-stock across the country last I checked.

As much sand driving as you do, i'd think you'd want an ATR at minimum, right?

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from the Goodyear HP's (two sets) to the Michelin Latitudes. The Michelins are a street tire, very quiet, but the sidewalls are a bit stiff and introduced some ride harshness.

Next time (if these new ones ever wear out) I plan to go with the Pirelli ATRs. Was considering to possibly get ATRs as a 2nd set too, in 18".

ps - If anyone needs a spare Goodyear Wrangler HP 19", I'm giving one away for FREE: http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=17833

Last edited:

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my ATR's, good on road ride and off road prowness

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the ATR. I think there on-road performance (noise, wet/dry grip, hydroplane resistance, and ride) is better than any all-season I have experienced, including the Michelin Lat's on my wife's FFRR. Offf-road grip is very good for an AT, but I would rate it below the Revo and Yoko AT-S, as it tends to chunk-up in mud. The Yoko is my favorite AT, but they do not make it in a 19"......

LR3MAND

Reaction score
I've had the Pirelli ATRs for almost 2 years and they have not let me down.
I can drive through any condition that the New England weather can throw at us and be confident that I can make it. that's a claim and testament to the LR3 and the tires.

armst06

Reaction score
Nokian WRG2 SUV Tires

I just ordered a set of the Nokian WRg2 SUV tires. Their web site indicates a good all season tire and the tread pattern looks good. Does anybody have any experience with these tires on your LR3? I will post my impressions later this week once installed.

Sorry team. I hit enter on this post and then thought to do a search. Several good inputs on the Nokian. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi