2012 LR4 18,000 miles replacing the breaks myself.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgemera1

Reaction score
2012 LR4 18,000 miles replacing the brakes myself.

Do I loose the warranty?

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. As a wear item there isn't really any warranty on brakes anyway. I suppose if you changed them wrong, like forgot the pads, and went ahead and crashed into somebody, it'd all be on you. So don't forget the pads :)
Go ahead, save yourself some $$$$.

Georgemera1

Reaction score
Does anyone knows like how much I will save replacing the brakes myself?
My LR4 is ready for service and brakes, I'm trying to figure it out how much It will cost all.

Thanks in advance

George.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone knows like how much I will save replacing the brakes myself?
My LR4 is ready for service and brakes, I'm trying to figure it out how much It will cost all.

Thanks in advance

George.

Is this really that hard to answer?

Assuming you have all the necessary tools, a jack, and jackstands, (a) call your dealer, ask them how much a brake-job is, then (b) ask to be tranferred to the parts department and ask them how much the parts are. Subtract (b) from (a) and that is how much you'll save, minus your time.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also you'll save the huge markup on parts, in all you'd probably save $750-$1000 depending on what brand parts you go with. Atlantic British is where I'd look for parts.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using EBC yellow stuff brake pads and EBC rotors on my LR3 and now LR4, they are pricey but better then OEM pads.

EBC Part number
Front Pads - DP42060R - Amazon $128
Rear Pads - DP41542R - Amazon $94
Front Rotors - RK1448
Rear Rotors - RK1340

http://www.shopebcbrakes.com/EBC-RK-Non-Slotted-Rotors/p99679?sku=

Total cost for all 4 brake pads and rotors is about $500.

Bill,

At what mileage did you do rotors? I remember on my Cayenne S that the dealer tried to convince me that the rotors need replaced at 30k, it's second set of pads. I ran them find until 60k with just brake pad replacements. No issues and no shudder. As for the back rotors, I never replaced them. Sold it at 85000 miles and the back rotors were fine and never been turned.

Wondering what people's experience is with the LR4. I usually do my own brake jobs. On the Cayenne I had it down to under 30 minutes for all 4 wheels. The blessing of power tools and rear exit calipers!

billj214

Reaction score
I only change the rotors when they get below specs, it's usually about every 2nd or sometimes 3rd change. EBC green pads or any metallic pads wear rotors faster then Yellow.

Also it's about 1 hour front and 45 mins rear, I try to re-grease all the pins really well since my LR3 had these pins freeze up one year and tore up one side of the rotor pretty bad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the front rotors rarely outlast 2 sets of pads on the LR4. The rear ones are about the same, you may get away with 3 sets of pads, but that's if you're lucky (for my driving style, anyway. About 50/50 congested city and highway, with fairly regular off-roading here and there.) My dearly beloved 2006 Sport used to chew through rotors with similar frequency, only difference being the rear pads seemed to last longer on that car than on the LR4... but probably because the front brakes were smaller on the Sport.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the front rotors rarely outlast 2 sets of pads on the LR4. The rear ones are about the same, you may get away with 3 sets of pads, but that's if you're lucky (for my driving style, anyway. About 50/50 congested city and highway, with fairly regular off-roading here and there.) My dearly beloved 2006 Sport used to chew through rotors with similar frequency, only difference being the rear pads seemed to last longer on that car than on the LR4... but probably because the front brakes were smaller on the Sport.

Thanks UM . Wife's rig is at about 12k of mostly city driving so assuming I am going to have to change pads soon. guessing the process is pretty pedestrian. Guess I'll check youtube for any surprises.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72