Question - Wheel Bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCD30

Reaction score
Hi all,

My dad just gave me his old 2006 Range Rover (the extended warranty just ran out - so I knew it would be expensive to maintain, but figured it would be worth it for a least a little while).

Anyway, he has taken amazing care of it, and just had his dealer inspect it in MD before giving it to me (new break pads and a few other things done). I registered it in PA earlier this week, and couldn't get an appointment at the land rover dealership for inspection until the end of next week - when I was planning to be out of town, plus it was cutting it very close to the 10 day deadline the state gives me to have it done.

I figured since it had JUST been inspected that it was fine to just take it anywhere. So I took it some muffler shop that could give me a same day appointment. They inspected it and told me I needed a new left rear wheel bearing, and that it would be $560. Then I called the range rover dealership and they told me the part was $60 (less than half the price the muffler shop quoted me), but I'm still waiting on a call back from service on the labor charges. In the meantime, the guy comes out and says actually they can't fix it, they apparently don't have some tool they need.

So the bottom line is he doesn't pass me, and I'll have to take it to land rover anyway (then he wants me to bring it back - which there is no chance of me doing). But the thing is that there is no noise or issue with steering or anything that would indicate an issue with the wheel bearing. Plus, it has been in for every scheduled maintenance appointment, and was just inspected two weeks ago.

Would the dealer check the wheel bearings? Was this guy just like "oh I'm going to tell this girl she needs some random thing done so I can charge her $500."

Just wondering if anyone had their dealer notice this through routine maintenance or had an issue with it without hearing a noise or feeling like something was off with the steering. Thanks in advance!

KCD30

Reaction score
Update:

Since my post I have determined that there is absolutely nothing that resembles a bad wheel bearing noise. I looked over the service records, and it appears that the dealer in MD did a 99pt inspection. Any idea if that would include inspecting the wheels?

However, now there is a clanking noise when I drive over a pothole (of which there are many in this city, it's unavoidable) coming from the rear of the truck. I can only hear it with the window down, but a week ago (when I last drove with the window down), there was no such noise.

When I left the shop, it was clear they had been playing around with the suspension, since they left it in the high position (the beeping was driving me crazy on the way home until I realized). They also took all of the tires off, and the bolts now seem somewhat lose to me (but it is probably just the caps?). Beyond that I have no idea what they could have done. They certainly weren't being gentle with it - and I could just picture my dad cringing at the sight of what was going on, but could they have actually harmed something while doing a stupid state inspection?

It took me a week and half to get this inspection appointment at the dealer, so hopefully this is nothing major - can only imagine how long I'll have to wait to have it fixed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut