1999 p38 immobiliser, eka, key fob and alarm serious problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fivehands

Reaction score
Hi
I really need serious help here my friends....

Here's the low down in a nutshell.

Last Thur: Battery gets low in fob and starts telling me so, on dash.

Last Sat: I change the battery,(within two minutes) but fob doesn't work and I start using the key manually.

Monday : The fob starts working again by itself but still says 'battery low' on dash.

Wed: Wife calls me, stranded, with engine disabled so, not even knowing what I was doing, after much messing about, one time, I turn key forward in door and hold it there for a while, and when i try the key in the ignition, it works and away we go.
(Looking back on it now, I can't unerstand why or how this worked)

Sat (yesterday,in tesco car park!): I come back from shop, press button to unlock.

Nothing.

I use the key to unlock the car manually, and the dreaded alram 'one beep, sounds.
I try the ignition, and it says 'engine disabled press remote or enter key code'.
I try the same trick as the previous incident with my Wife, and nothing.
I notice there is no red led light on fob when buttons are pressed so I take the battery out, go buy some batteries and replace( for the 2nd time this week). Led's working again, I try the button.

Nothing.

I heavily research online to learn about EKA and turns out that I am in the same boat with many people who have similar problems.

I try all their solutions including EKA many many times, but still no joy.
I try for two hours and end up leaving the car behind.
In these two hours the alarm only beeps once every time I open the door but no continuos alarm ever.
But...
When I go back this morning (Sunday) I try the Eka again, with fresh hopes and on the final turn in the procedure, open the door and the alarm sounds, continuosly for about 2 minutes each time I try EKA.
Plus...every three attempts, the sysem shuts down for half an hour.

Sorry, did I mention it's lashing rain by the way?
Nice.

I'm stumped.

I have read alot about syncing. Maybe the key has desynced with the car when I took the batteries out?
For 1999 p38's with engine immobiliser you are supposed to just put it in the ignition but this hasnt worked for me.

I also read on a forum that there is a master eka but that does not work either.

Talk about secure! Nice one LandRover

Does anybody have any ideas as to what I can try/do here please?
I want me car back, and my sanity.

Thanks in advance to any help offered......

Nige...confused...annoyed...cold...wet...and in the bad books with Wife for buying the Rangie in the first place and now getting it stranded in Tesco.....

MrMbghk

Reaction score
what happened ? did you junk it?

I've got a 2001 and it's been a good car but It's no longer a source of transportation. I parked it , 2 hours later I went to move it and I was locked out with the key fob so I opened the car with the key and then I go nothing , except it told me that the engine was disabled Batteries are fine I need to know how did you get you RR going ? What is the code that I keep reading about ?
Mark

Last edited:

MrMbghk

Reaction score
LOL writing to myself , Still have the 2001 P38 , Nice truck , runs great , 189000 miles
using the forums and my mechanic knowledge I've had it for almost 9 years. The above mentioned problem was cured by changing the door lock after so much research.
Many of the combination codes on this 2001 P38 were caused by the fusebox , I've changed it twice , learned how to re-solder it and have spent time on my application of patience. The reality for me is that this is an incredible, strong and friendly truck. I just had to learn to listen to it :- ) .

Now my new truck is a 2013 with 60000 miles and it is nearly perfect (really)
I'd like to get the diagnostic equipment for this Sport so I can do my own work in the future.

Any ideas on what type of computer setup I need for testing ,changing settings etc.
I bought a cd MY2005-13 Range Rover Sport (L320) Technical Documentation

Great days to all !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut