2004 Discovery Engine Misfire - could it be the head gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would have the heads checked, no way that I am aware of for fluid to get on #6 except via head or head gasket.

scostagl

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll pull off the Right head again when I have some time...or swap it for a used one that I can find cheap.

jkeving

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 03 disco-misfire codes and lost coolant that doesn't appear to be leaking from the head. Its a crack in the cylinder lining thats forcing exhaust gas into the coolant system and over-pressurizes the system causing coolant to be forced out of the reservoir and into the engine bay. I ran some engine block sealer treatments through the coolant system and (fingers crossed) that seems to have held it up. Apparently this is pretty common as it seems to have happened to my 04 as well. Hope this helps.

98Disco

Reaction score
I agree with jkeving, it sure sounds like you have a crack in the block probably behind the cylinder sleeve, only a good machine shop will be able to find it tho. They have to remove the liner and pressure test the block. I would try a block sealer, its worth a shot at least.

scostagl

Reaction score
Just want to follow up on this. I used KW block sealer this past weekend with great results. No more misfires, no CEL and the engine is running much smoother at start up. I can't believe this stuff works. We'll see how long it lasts....but for $8 and 20min job I'm really happy with the results.

Only side effect is that I think there must be some residue left on the plugs and injectors....going to pull them to clean them off and I should have the engine running even smoother.

thanks for the tip to try KW sealer!

tempestv8

Reaction score
Wow, what a saga! Sorry to hear of your woes. Like you, I'm the type who just wants things "right", and I'll tenaciously work on the problem until it is fixed. Trouble is, with a Rover motor, there's just lots of things that can go wrong. Like for example, in your case, I was just about to suggest that you might have a slipped cylinder liner. :ahhhhh:

Happened to me a year ago. Losing lots of coolant, yet the engine oil is clean and same with coolant. But the big white cloud of sweet smelling steam coming out of the exhaust in the morning left me with no uncertain doubt that it was leaking big time.

In the end, I had to get the block out, stripped and fitted with top hat liners.

So far so good, but it cost much coin, almost to the value of the vehicle itself. Nuts eh? :stupid:

Now the motor seems to be running good, but for how long? :creep:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you measure the heads for warpage before putting it back together?

scostagl

Reaction score
That sounds like quite a job. When I pulled my heads to change the gasket, one of the first things I did was check the sleeves. Luckily, all were ok.

I'm still disappointed that I've had these issues with less than 60k. But, I love this truck (when it is running well)!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA