Advice on purchase of 2005 LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McDull-LOVESiu

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum and I'm looking for advice on buying an LR3.
2005 LAND ROVER LR3 HSE
odometer: 120K
Budget before tax:8K

I was attracted by the good looks, low price and fancy name.
But the more I read, the more I question.
What I care about is that the costs and repair may occur after 120k miles.

any thoughts, suggestions?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, every vehicle is different but I'm on 210K with my 2005 LR3 HSE. I can say in my case, any manufacturing issues that were going to happen occurred during the first 50K miles while it was under warranty.

So, don't be scared of it just because of what you read. It's a great vehicle. Solid.

If you can, I'd tell the buyer you want to take it to a mechanic for a review. If you can find a non-dealer LR mechanic, he can look under the hood and put it on the lift and tell you if there are any impending large ticket wear items to consider. I'm sure you can go to a dealer also but I just don't trust them as much.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, but I'd make the purchase depending on a knowledgeable review.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to take the opposing view. I would trust the dealer. Mine is excellent and fair. An independent is hit or miss in terms of their ability to really read what's going on internally. The dealer has the fancy diag tools.

Also, while I agree that the vehicle is great and solid...it is a wholly different beast than other SUVs. In fact, I don't even call it an SUV; it's a 4x4. It's purpose-built; it's a legit off-roader and that is where it shines. If you don't need it for that, buy something that is equally handsome and performs much better on-road and doesn't weigh as much as a Suburban.

The LR3 is fantastic but make no mistake, it's high maintenance.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! Yeah, I guess I just really grew to hate my dealer over the 100K I stayed with them through my extended warranty.

For me, I want to go in the shop with the mechanic, have him point out issues, and have a discussion with him on what needs repaired and how long wear items can go otherwise.

In my experience, the dealer always sticks a third party between you and the mechanic. That person is the service manager who is hit or miss. He is just taking a recommendation from the mechanic, passing it to you, and is trained to bring in revenue, not help you out.

When I asked follow-up questions on the suggested repairs, I'd frequently hear the line, "for insurance reasons, we can't allow you back in the bays, but I'll see if I can page the mechanic for you. Have a seat in the waiting area..." (and I'll get to you after I help these 37 other customers who are each bringing me $3,500 if repair revenue).

Okay, I'm a little bitter. :biggrin:

On the other hand, IF you have a good independent mechanic around you, you can usually read him pretty easily. He wants to build a partnership with you so he has a new LR customer. Sure, he's still interested in revenue but he knows it's important to walk the line between what you need to service now and what can wait based on your driving patterns. I've had more luck on that route with multiple vehicles. Not just the LR.

Sorry for getting off topic. Buy the LR3, McDull! (but have a mechanic check it out)

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you had a bad experience or two and are jaded. My dealership experience is not like that at all. LR Bellevue in particular has a top flight Service Department.

Here is an example: before I went to the Yukon Territory, I wanted a block heater installed. I got some intel from bbyer on where to source the parts. I called LR Edmonton and got the parts and my LR dealer got some diagrams of where it would go (had to remove a particular freeze plug and bolt the heater in). I worked with the dealer tech to figure out how to do it, provided more intel from LR Edmonton, and all that. Boom pow, the tech put it in, masterfully, and routed the plug discretely out the grill behind my A-Frame brush bar and even sort of twist-braided it with the wires for one of my two off-roading lights. You can't even see it unless you peek behind the brush bar.

Here is another one: (note that I use the same dealer tech all the time because he is the Rover Whisperer) I wanted to install a brass bleeder T-valve in the coolant lines. I bought it and was telling him about it and he was like "oh, I removed/bypassed that thing a long time ago on your LR3; they break."

So, establishing a good rapport with your dealer Service Dept can pay massive dividends. I know I'm spoiled, but it doesn't have to be as you describe, either.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. - McDull....DON'T buy it. Low price and a fancy name are no reason to buy a vehicle.

seneyhunter

Reaction score
I'm an original owner of a 2005 LR3 (188K miles). My wife and I (and kids) still enjoy driving it.

In the 11 years we've owned it I can think of only one time it left my wife stranded (front wheel bearing).

Having said the above, it would be a plus if you're a bit handy or know a reliable mechanic.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not disputing any of that, seney....just the OP's rationale for wanting an LR3 not being compelling enough.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're preaching to a choir of zero. This was a shot in the dark for McDull, he has made his 2 posts and has moved on to the Kia Soul forums. :biggrin:

Now let's get back to our debate on Independent shops vs. Dealer shops....
:boxing:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha....agreed.

I have used ONE independent shop, to install my sliders. Other than that I've been all dealer, all the time. Seems like the treatment you get from the dealer depends on the individual shop. The two in western Washington (same owner) are rock solid.

...imagine the (vast majority of) people they encounter though. I bet they have as many "A-hole customer" stories as we have "shady dealer" stories.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi