How many Miles can i expect ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Theduke335

Reaction score
Thanks Wolf! your speaking my language with the tanks! I love military history! (I own a Militaria company lol) any way i bought that Rover It has 193,000 the guy i got from WAS the origanl owner he bought it brand new in Shawnee Mission Kansas and i have all the service recoreds for it. He warned me when i bought it to only use a min. of 87 octane gas in it and not to be cheap with the oil in fact he told me to use Rotella T 15W-40 in future oil changes because of somthing to do with zinc .. the only problem i am having with the truck right now is that after i drive it around for a while the oil light comes on at idle (about 750 rpms) but turns off as soon as the Rpms go above 750 it doesnt run rough or knock or idle bad ..in fact since i bought it i have put 1000 miles on it with no issues! Any ideas on the Oil light thing?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If the oil light is coming on, the first thing you want to do is drop the oil pan and clean it out (the pan and the oil pump pick screen).

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beemer, that was a wonderfully detailed and thoughtful post. I appreciate it greatly. I have indeed discovered one of the "end of lease, abused vehicles" a 1997 Disco. I liked it so much though in spite of it's problems I bought and "end of lease - well cared for Discovery which is a 2004. I discovered the 2004 right here on this forum, and it's immaculate! I'm saving it for a trip to Tierra del Fuego, so I drive the old one daily and it won't quit! All the problems of the 97 with 215,000 are EXACTLY like the problems enumerated on this forum.

I know what you mean about the Brits being a little nicer to their machines. But we can excuse these guys because they sound like Scotsmen! :) You will love this video.
YouTube- Land rover Discovery destruction #4 Concrete Blocks of Doom

Last edited:

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats duke,

I agree with most of what is said here - It boils down to who had the vehicle since new.

Joey was correct (and I hope he knew I was kidding re: life expectancy of these trucks)

if you do it the safest way, pull the pan & de-sludge (including the pickup tube)

If you can't/don't, at the minimum run 15-40 oil and possibly some oil additive that will clean your engine.

I use 15-40 in mine and hot idle pressure increased by about 2#.

The oil light sensor activates around 8# on a DI, so anything above that is satisfactory to rover.

Changing the oil frequently and a mild cleaner may resolve your light issue, however it's nice to look in the oil pan.

luck,greg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA