How big a tire will fit spare wheel well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tr182md

Reaction score
Like many here I have a 2006 LR3 HSE with HD and full size spare. I just bought 18" rims and am looking for 5 tires.

185/60/18 looks good and have read about the coopers.

Will that size tire fit under car in spare tire spot?

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers in a lt285/60R18 and it fits in the spare wheel well, but you have to completely deflate it for it to fit. So anything under 31.5" in diameter should work under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A well worn Nitto will fit, as the previous poster mentions, you have to partially deflate a new one to make it fit. It took two guys to jamb it up there though.

tr182md

Reaction score
Did you have to remove the rubber stops? Does hitch still fit? I am thinking if it is that tough maybe the 265/60/18 size is enough.

tr182md

Reaction score
Does anyone run 165/60/18 tires? I am thinking they will fit easily. I hated the good years that came with car but the all terrain with Kevlar look pretty good in the 165 size. Not sure if I do enough off roading to justify having a spare that has to be jammed in there. Maybe in future.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone run 165/60/18 tires? I am thinking they will fit easily. I hated the good years that came with car but the all terrain with Kevlar look pretty good in the 165 size. Not sure if I do enough off roading to justify having a spare that has to be jammed in there. Maybe in future.

Is your "2" key swapped with the "1" position? :biggrin:

The factory size on 18" is just fine for basic fire roads and light off roading. There are a number of tires in the factory size. Just look at Tirerack or other sources in the size. Michelin has a few with 60-70,000 miles wear warranty over 6 years. Their "green x" tires increased my fuel economy 10%. The 265/65x18 would also help with highway fuel economy and is the ideal size for the factory 18" wheels. Deflating it to fit is really not a big deal. You should travel with at least a small air compressor anyway. Most likely you'll never pull the tire out except to put into the rotation, which you should do so that they wear down the similarly. Later on it would fit without airing down too. In fact these Michelin may fit more easily than the Nitto.

stock size:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...TXAT2OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...6TR8LTV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

265/65x18:
no wear warranty but they basically last 60k+
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ATAKORWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

What I am using for 90% of the time now but in larger E load range size"
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R8LTXMS2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

One important thing you gain by simply going up to the 265/65x18 size is more standard load rating. E load range tires are also then available in that size such as the BFG.

tr182md

Reaction score
If I understand your meaning My #2 key will be used more often now that I got myself an M3. :driver: But I got sick of the tire problem so I just bought 5 18" rims and am going to get a better tire.

I do like to go off road a bit but nothing serious. No full articulation for me!

I may go with the Goodyear All terrain Adventure with Kevlar if I do 265x60x18

Maybe my next set will be 285's Then I think that the Nitto's look good. I don't think I could tolerate rubbing and not ready to move hoses and wires.

Might do the wire since that is simple enough. I have had this LR3 since new and have used the spare twice. Once up in Big Bear when Original tires were new, and once when I got a flat and did not notice because of the leveling. (that was an expensive mistake!) Now I know where the jack point is not!! :****: :albertein

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you kept typing "185" and "165" for the tire width as opposed to 265/285.... ;)

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like to go off road a bit but nothing serious. No full articulation for me!

I may go with the Goodyear All terrain Adventure with Kevlar if I do 265x60x18

Maybe my next set will be 285's Then I think that the Nitto's look good. I don't think I could tolerate rubbing and not ready to move hoses and wires.

Might do the wire since that is simple enough. I have had this LR3 since new and have used the spare twice. Once up in Big Bear when Original tires were new, and once when I got a flat and did not notice because of the leveling. (that was an expensive mistake!) Now I know where the jack point is not!! :****: :albertein

What "wire" are you referring to?

I wouldn't do that GY.

Not sure why you mention "rubbing"? There isn't any with the 265/65x18 on a fully stock LR3.

A proper tire will be more reliable off road. All of the ones I listed are perfectly suitable for fire roads and light double track/off road.

tr182md

Reaction score
No, you kept typing "185" and "165" for the tire width as opposed to 265/285.... ;)
thought you were referring to the wife. She has #2 Key. That is funny, my own interpretation. :smile: I did make an error on the sizes. oops.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA