rear end differential issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Range Rover sport with about 70,000 miles.
I was just told it needed a new rear end differential. I was also told this is common for this model.
They told me the wait for a differential is 3 to 4 weeks at a cost of about $1500.00. the wais is so long due to this problem.

Does anyone know if this is correct and if there is a recall from RR due to this issue…

DougC

Reaction score
I searched the site for rear differential problems and saw you post. I have been drivign my 2007 supercharged for three months and it has 46k miles (not all me--I only added 3k). Anyway, I just got back from the shop because I had tons messages come up on the display--HSC unavailable, vehicle lowering, transmission fault becareful when you slow down, etc... Anyway, the dealer didn't seemed to worried about getting parts for an entirely new rearend and said they would arrive in a couple days. Ran into the salesman and he said they change the diffs out all the time. By the way, the price I was quoted was $3500--glad I purchased the extended warranty.

coors

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Range Rover sport with about 70,000 miles.
I was just told it needed a new rear end differential. I was also told this is common for this model.
They told me the wait for a differential is 3 to 4 weeks at a cost of about $1500.00. the wais is so long due to this problem.

Does anyone know if this is correct and if there is a recall from RR due to this issue…

What are the symptoms you are experiencing?

I have an '06 full-size supercharge and had the rear replaced due to severe whining under load. My dealer told me there are two options a re-manufactured unit or a new unit and that both were on back-order. They wanted 2,500 to due the work. I fought and had it done under warranty. Search online or try another dealer I'm sure you can get one sooner. If you're mechanically inclined I would suggest doing the work yourself. Download a copy of RAVE and give it a go.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug did you check the battery? Your problems sound voltage-oriented. If there was no whine I doubt it was a diff. Prices also vary on what sort of rear differential you have. The locker is WAY more expensive than the standard open rear diff.

DougC

Reaction score
I didn't; but the dealer did. I thought it might be a bad battery too. But the onboard computer said 100% bad diff. I've got a 2007 Supercharged and believe I have an electronic, locking differential. Anyway, that was a fine welcome back to Rovers!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced both diffs in my LR3 last month. The locking rear diff alone costs about $1900.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And there is no recall on these crappy diffs. which is a shame.
For those of you who haven't had them fail yet, go change all your drive line fluids using a 75W/140 gear oil in the diffs to try and slow down the wear.

IMUSTBEDUMB

Reaction score
I hate to do this as I bought my $1600 4.6 HSE with 92k for 1600 for a reason but why do you guys buy new Rovers? The cars a pure junk with a Luxury price tag, I get it "Offroad Luxury" the trucks are offroad capable, and in its class only the Mercedes G500 or G55 is more capable but also significantly more reliable. I am just interested in understanding why you put yourself through the grief?

I mean you bought the truck with 43k miles and it blew out a REAR END! Thats catostrophic failure. You should have bought a New Jeep Grand Cherokee by FAR a better truck (Exception 05-06) WKII. Is the image of the truck the reason you guys put up with it? They do ride really nice but its not mind blowing.

Sorry not trying to stir the *** but these cars year after year prove to be garbage. The plate on my P38 Rover read "MKNX DRM" for a reason. I only bought it cause I can fix it myself.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes these diffs tend to go out causing loud whining noises . on full sizes range rovers they were more common on sc with locking rear diff the motor would take a **** and cause excessive drag on diff causing tranny faults. new motor was the fix not diff. same on sports and lr3 with locking rear diff. but yes only solution on whinning diffs is to replace them .the actual job is pretty basic and can be done in a couple hours.

oleglido

Reaction score
rear differential

2006 Range Rover HSE, 75,000 approximately, starting to have whinning noise coming from the rear differential when under load during drive off. Noise disappears when RPM reaches crusing speed. Please advise of possible causes and way to fix it. Was told by the dealer to change gear differential oil first. Should I change it in the front differential also and what gear oil should be used ideally. Thanking everyone in advance for help with this issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA